So you want to program games?

Pages: 12
It's a reference to post on beginners and windows programming forums in reply to people who make posts like:
" omg PLz Helpz my and me and my frinds gunna make a MMORGG.
But I need someone to do it for mez, cant compile hello word! . and ill just tell u wat i want. "
Last edited on
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
@chrisname: When I said the APIs access hardware directly, I didn't mean it like that T.T. Everything, in the long run interfaces with your hardware. The APIs however are the only thing available that can interface di-, er, indirectly with your hardware via drivers.

@whoever questions the purpose of this article: The purpose of this article is to prevent people from getting sudden confident boosts that they can make the next best game in the world, when in reality this is simply unrealistic. We see this all the time on these forums and other locations and it's not very common that people can bash these people to the point that they lose their confidence quickly. As a matter of fact, I'm one of the few people I know that spent the time to actually learn how to program games properly but even I at one point wanted to make the best game in the world. It's not that I want to demotivate them, it's that I want to show them that it's not as simple as that and they need to think twice before they jump into something complicated like making a game without knowing even the concept of a game or what a game really is internally.
Last edited on
As a matter of fact, I'm one of the few people I know that spent the time to actually learn how to program games properly

Do you have any released titles?
I don't think he meant like that. I think he meant he learnt how to write games more in terms of writing a structured game engine than "HERPA DERP, I MAKE GAME AFTER 2 WEEKS C++ EXPERIENCE, YES?"
Haha - even so I'm still curious if we have any real game programmers around here.
All I've made are a few small games. I've made pong about 20 times, I've made a really crappy breakout, and a bunch of other useless crap I'm not going to take the time to mention. Only recently though have I actually taken the time to plan it out and I even have my site back up and hoping to post something up soon if I can stick to a nice library for 2D gaming. Before I go off to college, I'm hoping to push something 3D out as well although I'm still contemplating on something I can handle within 6 months that can be fun as well and look nice.

http://computerquip.com

Just a basic CMS. I didn't make the site or anything nor do I see a reason too although I might make something to show a little bit of experience in web development (even though I currently don't have any knowledge of it other than basic HTML, javascript, php, and database management ).

EDIT: I have a lot more knowledge than I do experience but I can make the average pong game in a few hours (if not within an hour) if given a graphics library I know. ;)

EDIT2: Actually, very soon I'm going to post up the basic Pong game I've been working on as a test. Then I'll start demonstrating how C++ design in multiple levels. Just wait, I'll show them my powa!
Last edited on
Very nice - I'm currently in my final year of study at AIE doing 3D Game programming. So after that the study should be over for a while if I can get a job :)
doing 3D Game programming
Anything neat?
I mean that very basic 3d programing is only few lines away from 2d programing. When we come to animations and shading things get more interesting, though.
I've been working on a rts for some time, and I can't get the animations working right. Though, of course, this is the least of my problems... I suppose rts wasn't a smart choice for the beginning. There is way too much ai needed.
Last edited on
This isn't fair. My chosen programming interest has me working for hours just to see the words "stage1 loaded, find stage2..." printed on the screen and nothing else... :(

Btw this http://ve3dmedia.ign.com/images/01/57/15765_MeetTheEngineer-02.jpg is supposedly part of the equation used in Team Fortress 2 for lighting.
@hamsterman: True, but for anything to look nice, you need models, animations, etc. I will have to stick to the absolute basics since I am terribly terrible with these. I'm thinking about sticking to primitives.

@chrisname: I'm sure they didn't have some guy go in an immediately throw in that equation. I can do the math if I do a bit of studying, that's not my problem.
Last edited on
I'm sure they didn't have some guy go in an immediately throw in that equation. I can do the math if I do a bit of studying, that's not my problem.

I just thought you might find it interesting.
Nice article, I am new to C++ but I eventually would like to get into game programming, I have always loved making my own maps using world editors. While i know programming is much more complicated then this I find it very entertaining to see my things come to life and work properly.
I start college next semester and plan to go all out learning math and computer sciences.

Thanks for the preview of what I am getting into.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eslYlbe3gw <- sums up allot of this.
Last edited on
Apparently there are lots of jokes on noobs wanting to code a game
http://www.qwantz.com/index.php?comic=1178
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.
Pages: 12