Enabling GodMode on Windows 7

"GodMode" if you can call it that, is an advanced Control panel available to the new Windows 7. Only it is also available on Windows Vista as well and was well before 7. What it is, is every link available under system settings when you do a search for a particular item that normally shows up as 2-3 entries under the "All Context menu". However this shows that menu without the search defined so all links show up.
There are reports of Vista 64bit machines having problems with it (possibly myths) however if you want to check this post shows how you can easily check registry for it:
http://www.askvg.com/truth-behind-hidden-secret-god-mode-found-in-windows-7/

"GodMode" is quite handy as it takes away all the painful linking structure in the typical default Control panel and also shows hard to find items, and I believe some items that aren't typically available through Control panel.

"Ok, I've heard enough tell me how to get the goodies!"

* Right click on desktop (or wherever you want to place the shortcut).
* Create New -> Folder. (don't worry about naming, "New Folder" is fine for now)
* Right click on the folder and select properties.
* Copy the below string and Paste in the Folder Name field.
(Please note: It does not have to be called "GodMode" however the fullstop and remaining string is necessary)

GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

* Click "OK". Now your done, the icon changes to Control Panel icon.
* you are able to change the name after by typical convention: right click -> rename

This post is aimed at people who are new to Windows environment (young people mostly), who have trouble locating the windows environment PATH (path variable). Also good for learning more about all the under-the-hood system commands.

"GodMode" in the 'System' items (22 links) one of which is a shortcut to open up environment variable window directly rather than having to click on 5 links to find it. Simply creating a new folder, copy/pasting and clicking the link couldn't be simpler... I hope ;)
Last edited on
Or you can just run explorer shell:::{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

"GodMode" in the 'System' items (22 links) one of which is a shortcut to open up environment variable window directly rather than having to click on 5 links to find it.
Now it just involves typing a cryptic command that you have a worse than 2^-128 chance of guessing without reading an online article about it. That's what you call progress.
Speaking of which, how do all these easter eggs get found? Randomness, Rainbow Tables, employees?
Rainbow Tables
What?
I know what they are, I don't know how they would help here.
This is pretty cool - I'm surprised I've never found this on the web before. Thanks (H)
DrChill wrote:
how do all these easter eggs get found?

People who like fiddling with the registry is my guess... Maybe someone couldn't figure out how to rc(rightclick) desktop -> lc(leftclick) personalize -> lc change desktop settings -> lc personalize desktop -> lc Advanced -> lc change desktop icons -> lc control panel box -> uninstall windows 7 -> winstall xp
So decided to look in registry instead.

As a side note am I referring to the right thing when I say:
me wrote:
that normally shows up as 2-3 entries under the "All Context menu"

or is context menu when you right click on something like a file?
Perhaps I meant to say search window, or something more semantically correct.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.