Articles - 2010 archive

NOTICE: This forum is now permanently closed.
No new threads can be created.

To post a new article, please visit the Articles section at http://www.cplusplus.com/articles/.

Managing Projects with GNU Make

This is not really an article as such but as questions on using make files pop-up frequently I would like to draw peoples attention to this book: Managing P...
[7 replies] Last: Can you please stop killing the thread? Let it stay on topic. I know t... (by chrisname)
Abridged

The abridged reference card is now in version 0.16. If someone wants to join in, please let me know. http://home.uevora.pt/~pmaa/cpp.pdf
[10 replies] Last: The space indicates that. It was after the "=" sign but is now in th... (by simplas2002)
When to use what language and why (1,2,3,4)

Its been debated here for the past couple of months what language is "the best" or more appropriately, "the worst" which defines another as better inherently. ...
[75 replies] Last: So does GCC, VisualStudio, etc. You don't use a tourist-grade Garmin G... (by rapidcoder)
Use of void pointers (void*) and templates

Today, I was thinking about the uses of void* pointers and if there was any occasion where it would look better in C++. I couldn't think of any and I thought I'...
[6 replies] Last: To get compile time encapsulation in C, declare a structure in the hea... (by rocketboy9000)
How to choose the correct section to post in

Recently, I've been seeing idiots intelligent people weird people strangely posting their problems in the "Articles" sections, which is extremely stupid k...
[6 replies] Last: How to report a homework question found in the "Articles" forum C... (by Bazzy)
C++ Syntax Quick Reference

I wrote a 4-page quick reference for C++ including some C++0x. Only syntax is covered. Since it may be helpful, and it is more complete than what I could fin...
[9 replies] Last: Since part of the criticism was actually fair and to-the-point, a new ... (by simplas2002)
Memory alignment and padding

Given the following structure: struct foo { char c; short s; void* p; int i; }; How are the members aligned in memory? I expect...
[14 replies] Last: Then I guess it can do both and does #pragma to keep compatibility wi... (by Disch)
ODB - compiler-base ORM for C++

I am pleased to announce the initial release of ODB. ODB is an open-source, compiler-based object-relational mapping (ORM) system for C++. It allows you to p...
[12 replies] Last: 1. If better packages exist on a BSD-like license, then I like you wo... (by Albatross)
by Kyon
Cleaner code (1,2)

The reason for me to write this article is the fact that many people don't seem to know (or care) about code readability. Readability is the base for portabilit...
[22 replies] Last: int main(){ return 0; } This disagrees with you bracket ru... (by DrChill)
Debugging Your Program

Debugging Your Program I feel that this is a topic that needs to be covered in detail. As it is, debugging is an incredibly important part of programm...
[3 replies] Last: Assertions: http://www.advogato.org/article/949.html (by chrisname)
generate any possible password in lowercase alpha (1,2)

generate any possible combination of words to find the passwords of any length in lowercase alphabits (a to z) this piece of code prints more than 500 combin...
[20 replies] Last: I don't actually care. I was discussing which is faster "in theory", w... (by tition)
use new to allocate a structure array

I searched the internet front and back looking for the answer to this problem. "Do programming exercise 4, but use new to allocate a structure instead of decl...
[1 reply] : Why is this in the article section? It doesn't look that good... Yo... (by Zhuge)
C++ interview Question (1,2)

I have collected interview question and added this forum. Please feel free to add more question for making good collection
[28 replies] Last: update blog with new name http://cppcoffe.blogspot.com/ (by agoswami)
by Bazzy
Beginner Exercises (1,2,3,...,13,14,15,16)

The original post was from Blitz Coder ( http://www.cplusplus.com/member/Blitz_Coder/ ) at http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/beginner/12969/ He asked me to ref...
[300 replies] Last: A great theoritical part given and the code snippets are very useful f... (by machwan)
Sorting Algorithms

Introduction In common programming, you don't often find yourself coming across a need for direct sorting. The user will usually want the info in whateve...
[7 replies] Last: 500000 integers within the length of 1 - 1000000000 sorted in a tenth ... (by closed account S6k9GNh0)
Cool Config Parsing Idea

I came up with this while making a small configuration parser using XML. Basically, it reduces the amount of hard coding while reducing the need to parse. This ...
[1 reply] : This may have already been made but I couldn't find it anywhere soooo... (by R0mai)
stdiostream

This code is being modified... It currently has a couple of bugs. Hey all, I just wanted to play around with this kind of stuff so I thought I'd share. ...
[15 replies] Last: Ah, that's because I forgot to #include <ciso646>. Thanks for the fee... (by Duthomhas)
by QxOrm
QxOrm : Persistence (ORM), Serialization, Reflection

Hello, QxOrm is a new open source ORM ( Object Relational Mapping ) C++ library designed to provide : * Persistence (based on QtSql Qt module ) * ...
[no replies]
Bison Tracking

aka. How to create a parser in C++ without using Flex or Bison PART 1. Revision: 2nd Why the Fortran would anyone want to do this? (Pardon my lang...
[7 replies] Last: Edited for correctness. -Albatross (by Albatross)
by helios
Re: Top 10 tips for code porting c/c++

I wanted to reply in the thread, but it was archived, so here goes: The best way to introduce code portability is while coding. As opposed to introducing it...
[7 replies] Last: DOS is fun to play with. No hardware protection means you can basicall... (by chrisname)
Year 2010 Pages: 12
  Archived years: [2009 archive] [2011 archive]