Articles - 2011 archive

NOTICE: This forum is now permanently closed.
No new threads can be created.

To post a new article, please visit the Articles section at http://www.cplusplus.com/articles/.

How to Make a Game 2 (1,2)

It has been recently brought to my attention that many people ask about game development, yet there aren't any articles on the topic. I've decided to shed some ...
[23 replies] Last: Number 2 was just a rewrite of Number 1 because we ran out of space ;)... (by anonymous23323124)
cannot correct the error

#include<stdio.h> #include<string.h> #include<iostream.h> #include<conio.h> int main() { clrscr(); char astr ; int lenth; cout<<"\n Enter a string\n"; ...
[7 replies] Last: The error is at line if(char astr ==" ") first use ' ' to compare... (by mbisht)
Using noexcept

Hi, Did you notice the new keyword in incoming C++11 standard (C++0x): noexcept ? In case you wonder what it does, why it works the way it does, and how you ...
[6 replies] Last: Thanks for explanation. The conditional noexcept is a nice thing, albe... (by rapidcoder)
Alternative Construction Methods

Most people complain about exceptions. They then proceed to complain that exceptions are the only way to error check if an object has failed, giving them the fe...
[9 replies] Last: It is true that boost::shared_ptr is much slower than built-in pointer... (by jsmith)
what is this with the incrimination in the if statement

#include <iostream.h> int main() { int x=99; if(x++<100) { cout<<"it is false"; } else { cout<<"it is true"; } return 0; } i wonder why if i try...
[3 replies] Last: I don't think it sounds like that...but I do think it's confusing. (by firedraco)
C++0x Suffix Return Types

Going to post this article about C++0x suffix return types on my blog later, and I thought I'd put it here too. I'm guessing most of the readers of the article ...
[6 replies] Last: Sorry, yes. Yours is of course a scope example as well. Anyway, it has... (by anonymous23323124)
Secrets of Boost Revealed: Checked Delete

Secrets of Boost Revealed Boost C++ Libraries ( http://www.boost.org ) Topic / Idiom: Checked Delete Contributor(s): Peter Dimov, Daniel Frey, ...
[no replies]
Visual Studio 2008 / 2010 GOTCHA's

VS just royally screwed me over again...so I figured that I could start a list of items that are a bit counter-intuitive with the IDE. If anyone else has some ...
[5 replies] Last: Does anyone know how to include STL documentation? I have noticed tha... (by johnnystarr)
Why we've deprecated Dev-C++. (1,2)

Good afternoon males, females, natural hermaphrodites, unnatural hermaphrodites, unsexed, androgens, androids, blackberries, geeks, nerds, intelligent trousers,...
[37 replies] Last: Huh? Doesn't the IDE you use support multiple build targets? (ehh, an... (by Moschops)
Why we are a bunch of tough lovers. (1,2,3)

Tee hee hee... I called us lovers! O_o Hello females, males, transsexuals, natural hermaphrodites, and unsexed... This is an article about our refusal to a...
[45 replies] Last: I must say that I agree with everything that the OP has said in this a... (by Danellos)
map< string, Obj > vs map< string, Obj* >

let's discuss advantages and disadvantages of map< string, Obj > vs map< string, Obj* > when do you use one vs the other? do you use a simple rule like if O...
[4 replies] Last: It doesn't matter whether or not unique_ptr is thread-safe (it isn't) ... (by jsmith)
Why you should NOT delete your posts after getting an answer.

Good day loyal subjects and complete slaves fellow programmers, I've seen the following behavior quite a bit on these forums, and I'd like to write out why...
[11 replies] Last: [quote=kfmfe04]erase their threads Yet another flaw of the reporting ... (by anonymous23323124)
How to make a game (1,2)

Updated version here: http://cplusplus.com/forum/articles/43175/
[34 replies] Last: Remade the article with room to spare. Find it here: http://cplusplus.... (by ModShop)
How to use code tags

How to use code tags When posting, you will probably want to post the code that you are having trouble with. However, simply copying and pasting the code i...
[5 replies] Last: [quote=Zeillinger]I'm not trying to criticize but I will say that the ... (by closed account z05DSL3A)
by Disch
"How to Ask Questions": Itemized thread/rehash

I'm sure all of us are familiar with the famous "How to ask question the smart way" guide. I don't necessarily want to reinvent the wheel here, but I have so...
[6 replies] Last: Addition to the above: Wrong code usually won't compile ( or gives wa... (by Bazzy)
Networking

Networking What is networking? It's a collection of something that send data from one something to another. This could apply even to humans if you consider so...
[9 replies] Last: @ sohguanh : Apple and Microsoft business patterns are so simular bec... (by Computergeek01)
ODB C++ ORM 1.4.0 adds support for Qt, inheritance

Hi, I am pleased to announce the release of ODB 1.4.0. ODB is an open-source object-relational mapping (ORM) system for C++. It allows you to persist C++ ...
[no replies]
Rounding Algorithms - Discussion

On a slow but regular basis I get questions and commentary about the Article I posted a while ago: http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/articles/3638 The followin...
[4 replies] Last: Wow, you're still getting called on an article you wrote almost thre... (by Computergeek01)
Simple XOR encryption (1,2,3)

Alright, beginner's encryption lesson: everything on a computer is stored as binary data, in the form of bytes (8 bits, or individual 1's or 0's) Binary data ...
[41 replies] Last: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20048715-504083.html Hope you ... (by Veltas)
by jason9
Linked List Template and Binary Search Tree

I am posting this because after all my research I could not find a good example of both a templatized linked list and binary search tree. These are what I was a...
[10 replies] Last: This confirm my earlier posting. Working and academic worlds are diffe... (by sohguanh)
Year 2011 Pages: 12
  Archived years: [2010 archive] [2012 archive]