Game Over

Im New To C++ And When I Open The File The Window Just Opens And Closes. Ive Been Told To use pause but i dont know where to use it in my code HELP

#include<iostream>

int main()
{
std::cout <<"Game Over!"<<std::endl;
return 0;

}

Last edited on
Write it like this :

#include <iostream>
#include <windows.h>

int main()
{
    std::cout <<"Game Over!"<<std::endl;
    system("pause");
    return 0;
}
Last edited on
no don't use system("pause")
use something like cin.get(); cin.clear(); cin.ignore();

ps it is a sticky topic at the very top probably should of read first =p.

http://cplusplus.com/forum/beginner/1988/
I agree with giblit but the only reason i wrote it is that he asked for it specifically .
@BaseRev

is windows.h really necessary? As far as I know std::system is a C++ function that communicates with the terminal at hand. I do not run windows, would you mind trying? I am interested? For me using xterm on Linux mint x64:

#include <cstdlib>
#include <iostream>

int main()
{
    std::cout << "We will not see this string for long!\n";
    std::system("clear");
    std::getchar();
}

clears correctly without including linux headers.
no you can't use std::sytem and I have never heard of it being part of the std class and when I am on linux I don't need to use std::system it's just system() and windows.h is required on windos for anything that uses the windows api I am pretty sure of
@Bourgond

Yes,it is necessary. I don't know about Linux but on windows you must include "windows.h".
But I am curious though c++ STL is supposed to be standard so how can it has a function on Linux but not on windows ?

It worked. windows.h isn't necessary and you can use std::system on windows.Thanks for the new info !!
Last edited on
BaseRev wrote:
Yes,it is necessary. I don't know about Linux but on windows you must include "windows.h".

Who says windows.h is necessary, windows.h may have additional namespace function that performs the same operation, but the standard library that embeds system() functions is the cstdlib.
BeastlyHex wrote:
Im New To C++ And When I Open The File The Window Just Opens And Closes. Ive Been Told To use pause but i dont know where to use it in my code HELP

Help has been on the first page ever since the opening of this website(who told me?), and its been the second post on the page, beautiful comments are there on how "efficiently" you can tackle that problem.

Who says windows.h is necessary, windows.h may have additional namespace function that performs the same operation, but the standard library that embeds system() functions is the cstdlib.

Nice I didn't know that , but I don't actually use c-like functions much.
Ah sorry I never use cstdlib
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.