Baffled by lack of iterations

I would consider myself a beginner to C++. I took a couple of classes in high school that dealt with simple C++, but that was 12 years ago. I haven't really touched it since.

I wanted to dive back in and create a simple console application that would calculate the odds of dice rolls for the Star Wars: Edge of the Empire role playing game. For the most part, it was working pretty well, but I got stuck on this particular loop. It is supposed to go through 2 iterations, but it seems that the variable "n" is incrementing prematurely.

#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
    int abi_num [2] = {0,0};
    int green = 2;

for (int n = 0; n < green; n++)
    {
	cout << n << " " << abi_num [n] << endl;
         cout << "Green: " << green << endl;

if (n = green - 1)  // Is this the last green die being rolled?
	{
	     cout << "This is the last die!" << endl;
	     if (abi_num [n] = 8) //You are here because there are no yellow or blue dice following this
	     {                         //Has this green die come to the end of its increments?
	          abi_num [n] = 1;      //If so, start back at 1
	     }
	     else
              {
                abi_num [n] = abi_num [n] + 1;
              }
	}
         else if (abi_num [n + 1] = 8) //This is not the last green die being rolled.
         {                             //Oh, well, has the next green die come to the end of it's increments?
            cout << "This is not the last die, but the next die equals 8!" << endl;
	   if (abi_num [n] = 8)      //If so, has this green die come to the end of its increments?
	   {
	        abi_num [n] = 1;      //If so, start back at 1
	   }
	   else
	   {
	        abi_num [n] = abi_num [n] + 1; //If not, add one to its current value
	   }
	}
	else
         {
            cout << "This is not the last die and the next die does not equal 8... Lame!" << endl;
            abi_num [n] = abi_num [n];
         }
         cout << "End of " << n << " iteration(s)." << endl;
    }

return 0;
}

Here is the resulting output:

-----------------
0 0
Green: 2
This is the Last die!
End of 1 iteration(s).
-----------------

I would expect "n" to still be equal to 0 at the end of the first pass. Here is the output that I expected:

-----------------
0 0
This is not the last die and the next die does not equal 8... Lame!
End of 0 iteration(s).

1 0
This is the Last die!
End of 1 iteration(s).
-----------------

Any suggestions in fixing this would be appreciated.
Line 15: (n = green - 1) You are assigning n value of 1 here. Your compiler should warn about it. Remember = is an assigment. Comparsion is ==
You are using the assignment operator '=' instead of the is-equal-to operator '=='
if (n = green - 1)
here the result of green-1 is assigned to the variable n, and if the result is non-zero, the condition is true.

Similarly on lines 18, 27 and 30 you need '==' instead of '='
Last edited on
Nice! I should've remembered that. Thank you to both of you!
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.