Making a poisoned code

Ok so my goal is to make a game. This code im wanting says if the player attacks, and the monster is a spider, he has a chance to get poisoned and the rest of the damage steps go on. I used an If,Else statement and I edited this code from the internet so im worried it wont work. I did compile it and it only gave one error which was Verbs.dm:18:error: "Spider": missing comma ',' or right-paren ')' . Heres the code. Btw I didn't know if I should put the start of it or not so I just went ahead and did it. the save part is obviously a saving code

mob/verb
	Save()
		src.SaveProc()
 Attack()
 	flick("Attack",src)
 	for(var/mob/M in get_step(src,src.dir))
 	if(M=icon_state"Spider")
 		var/Poison=rand()/3
 		var/Damage=max(0,src.Str-M.Def)
 		view(M)<<"[src] hit [M] for [Damage] damage,but was given a level [Poison] poison"
 		M.TakeDamage(Damage,src)
 	else
 		var/Damage=max(0,src.Str-M.Def)
 		view(M)<<"[src] hit [M] for [Damage] Damage!"
 		M.TakeDamage(Damage,src)

Last edited on
Hi Hinotai

I am not sure what language this is, but it certainly isn't c++

without more knowledge of your implementation it is very difficult to offer any help.

But generally speaking, implementing something like what you described shouldn't be terribly hard, its more a question of how you have structured your code. Normally you would have a "character" base class, the "player" would inherit from this.
That way you can add a "poisoned" flag to the character then within the player update function you would test to see if this flag has been set.

If the "poisoned" flag has been set, you apply a small amount of damage to the player every update.

as for having a chance of getting poisoned this would be a case of using a random number generator, if it returns a certain number you would turn the flag on, but the specific code to do this would depend on your implementation and the chance.

Thanks -NGangst
It is dream maker language, what ever that is (deduced from file extension in error code). Also if you want to refer to a specific line and not post the full code, just note that you are going to have to adjust line numbers. So would you mind telling us: Which line is line 18?
sorry. its line 7. And I thought this was C++ >.< so sorry about that >.<
I do not know DML but try putting parenthesis around "spider". Like so:
if(M=icon_state("Spider"))
ok sorry guys I didn't know there was a difference between C++ and DML (or that DM had its own language.....) but I went to the DML site and got it all fixed :) I had the code backwards HAHA the spider poison code goes into its own set. not int he battle system x3 I didn't even think of that xD
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.