Book Suggestion

I'm going to be taking Advance Programming in C++ in the next 2 months. Can someone suggest a good book that can assist me and give me a head start on the topics for this course.
What are the topics of the course?

An all-around good C++ book would be Accelerated C++ by Koenig and Moo.
EDIT: Assuming that you already have experience with C++, which the title of the class makes me believe.
Accelerated C++ assumes you know the language a bit.
Last edited on
C++ the complete reference, Herbert Schildt
it demonstrates standard C++ from the bottom up, even contains the C-subset of the language.
it contains an overview on STL, not in depth though.
it would be pretty good for a takeoff.

This guy is so terrible he has his own entry in the Hacker's Jargon:
http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/B/bullschildt.html

(granted, he became part of the lexicon because of his awful C books, but his C++ books are even worse)
@Cubbi:

This guy is so terrible he has his own entry in the Hacker's Jargon:
http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/B/bullschildt.html

(granted, he became part of the lexicon because of his awful C books, but his C++ books are even worse)

well...i read some few pages of the link you provided, yet i can't see any true evidence that this guy is a bad programmer.
while on the other hand, you can clearly see his accomplishments:
he's a member in both standardization committees( C's and C++'s).
he's a professor.
his books have been best sellers.
you can Google him, his reputation is good, why should i believe those guys?
although i wouldn't mind if you prove me wrong, you'll just have to give a good proof.
@Rechard3
Searching google quickly I found a few of his book critiques:
The Annotated ANSI C Standard: http://www.lysator.liu.se/c/schildt.html
C: The Complete Reference: http://www.seebs.net/c/c_tcn4e.html

I found a pdf of C++ the complete reference
Scanning through, the book uses printf instead of current standard i/o streams. and old C standard library headers (<stdio.h> instead of <cstdio>, for example).
And that's probably because C++ the complete reference 4th edition was published in 2002.
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
>he's a member in both standardization committees( C's and C++'s).
>he's a professor.
>his books have been best sellers.

idk about the second, but the top and bottom dont mean much.
anyone can be a member of the committees and writing a best selling book isnt writing a good book. ive read many best sellers that were crap. they are best sellers because they sell quickly until word gets around that they are bad
you can Google him, his reputation is good, why should i believe those guys?

Google him indeed, it's hard to find a programming writer whose reputation was discredited any more than his (granted, there are definitely worse writers out there, but their names aren't used as curse words)

he's a member in both standardization committees( C's and C++'s).

He was an observing (non-voting) member in 1996 - 1998. That means he read mailing lists and maybe attended a meeting. He made no contributions.
@Thumber:
Scanning through, the book uses printf instead of current standard i/o streams. and old C standard library headers (<stdio.h> instead of <cstdio>, for example).

i think you were at the c-subset of the language section.
this function is only used in this section, and for good reasons.

@Cubbi & DTSCode:
ok, i get your point.
his book is the only book i read, do you suggest i erase all i know on this language and start with C++ Primer ?
Rechard3 wrote:
i think you were at the c-subset of the language section.
Why would that even exist? But that might be what I saw.

Don't erase everything, as it's not all wrong.
I would recommend reading C++ Primer though. It's a much more highly regarded book.
well, i know the basics, my modest experience extends a bit beyond the scope of the book.
maybe i should check on:
Thinking in C++, Bruce Eckel
a relative of mine suggested it.
what would you say?
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.