C++ without IDE?

Hello!
So far used Code::Blocks for my projects. But now I want to do that with a simple editor and a compiler, because I find that much better somehow. But which compiler should i use and how do i install and use it? I didn't know where to get those informations, so i just asked here.
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
mingw with the shell. super easy
What OS?
No IDE means no interactive debugger. =(

How will you step through your code?
@Disch
gdb is an interactive command line debugger. It's certainly not as pretty, but equally as useful.
^ +1

My suggestion, partition windows installation and install linux mint. Use gedit plus built in terminal that way you have almost the same functionality as an IDE except you type the commands to compile. This will make you better at detecting errors in your code before/after compiling.
command line

That's not what I meant by "interactive"

Maybe "embedded" would have been a better word... since technically all debuggers have to be interactive.
But gdb is not embedded...
@ResidentBiscuit: I am using Windows.
@DTSCode How do I compile .cpp files with the shell?
@Disch Well, then I'll use Code::Blocks. But the reason i use a simple editor is that I prefer writing code with a normal editor, for example. It's just annoying when the parentheses are written automatically.
@Disch
Fair.
You can do everything with gdb that you can with an IDE debugger. Though it might not be a good idea to use for newcomers.

@Kapichu
If you're on windows, use MinGW.
By shell he means command prompt.
Refer to this link: http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~beechung/ref/gcc-intro.html

EDIT after Kapichu's reply:
Kapichu wrote:
It's just annoying when the parentheses are written automatically.
There should be a setting somewhere in Code::Blocks that lets you turn that off.
Last edited on
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
no i mean shell not the command prompt. i mean the mingw shell that you can get from the installer.
i suggest you follow Disch's advice, an IDE provides essential functionality for both debugging, and even giving a visually comfortable look of your code.
if that's not enough, an IDE eases the process of linking external libraries, and plenty of other processes.

there are plenty of free IDEs, you don't have to even pay for it.
I don't want to use an IDE because I am a beginner. So for understanding how all this compilation and stuff works, I'd like to use a simple editor and a compiler. I did the same when I was a java beginner, and then I switched to eclipse.

And: I didn't know that I can turn off the automatic code integration in Code::Blocks. So that's an argument to use CB later.

Oh, and sorry for bad english (if it is bad).
I tend to use Sublime Text (although you can use gvim or vim for something similar but not quite as incredible) when typing and g++ or clang++ when compiling. Not using an embedded debugger has vastly improved my typing and checking. g++ will sometimes spit weird errors out to you, but they are usually easy to google. clang is much more clear with its errors. Actually clang (or rather libclang) is what some really good IDEs (e.g. Xcode and CodeLite) use as their debugger instead of a separate program (gdb).

If you really want to go no-IDE, you can create a workflow that suits you more, in my opinion. However, it's not always easy to do at first if you are used to the way a certain IDE works.
Listening to most of your good advices, I decided to use Notepad++ for writing and CodeBlocks for compiling and debugging and stuff. I didn't find any option to turn automatically code integration off.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.