I can´t keep my self motivated...

Hey guys!

Before i start, i´ll start to say sorry for my bad English.

I´m 14 year old and few months ago i started learning C++ and i have only learned a little about the basics (If and else, variables, cout and cin.)

I bought a book named "Jumping into C++ and find it very good.
I just have a little problem, i can´t make my self reading more than 2-4 pages! I feel tired and feel it´s very boring, but i´m very interested in programming.

Sometimes i also have problems with practicing programming, i feel a little bit bored and some times i feel like my brain hurt because of all that information... Lol.

I´m thinking that maybe the language English is making me bored, when i read the book?

Now it´s more than 2 weeks ago i last have practiced and read in the book. Maybe the language is too hard for me?

I´m interested in programming any kind of programs or games and i don´t care which programming language i need to use. It just need to make sense

I have tried Java scripting but i read that it´s only for websites, or do i remember wrong??

Thanks in advance:)
And again, sorry for my bad English, i hope you could understand what i wrote!:D
Personally I think C++ is the way to go. It seems to me that maybe you aren't really to interested in programming if you find it boring though, most of the fun in programming for me is learning about it. I have times where what I'm doing is somewhat boring but it's normally caused by researching a error I've been stuck with for a while.

Sometimes jumping into things that seem over your head in complexity can be a fun way to learn things by just playing with the code and researching stuff that doesn't make sense.
If you are interested in a subject, but the book is boring you, then it's a bad book (or at least it's not the right book for you). I'd start looking for a different one.
I'll say this,

If C++ doesn't interest you, then don't study it.

If it does interest you, then the book may be boring at first, or like others have said, it is a bad book. I'm also VERY new to this, and at times I find myself very discouraged but this forum is great for learning and expanding in all directions with C++. Sometimes getting past that "boring" stage is the means by which you get to the other side to where the action and fun is.

Most importantly, do WHAT YOU LOVE. If you don't like it, don't bore yourself to death. Go try guitar, piano, chemistry, some other science, a sport. You're young, you have time, but not all the time in the world. Find your niche, love doing what you do and do what you love.
Last edited on
A more formal framework can get you moving. Have a look at coursera. These courses are free and have a weekly assignment you have to complete - giving you motivation to keep moving.

Consider any language, not just C++

https://www.coursera.org/course/programming1

https://www.coursera.org/course/gameprogramming

Yeah well first off, being 14-years-old gives you some restrictions - you still may not know too much(maths, for example), and you may just prefer to play instead of writing code.

Second thing is, you shouldn't force yourself. If you are bored, try to change it; if you continue to learn anyway, you will get bored even more, and eventually, resign.

When you are starting with programming, it's exciting at first, then it's kind of boring/hard, as some concepts, such as pointers, references, classes or polymorphism can be confusing for beginner. Don't rush - you have whole life to reach master level. If you learn, but you don't understand, either try to do it by experimenting with code, or take a brake and come next day with fresh mind, and some knowledge from previous day.

If you want to be programming games, I have sad news for you - it's a lot harder than it may appear. Also, if you want to make games using graphics, some concepts may be hard for you to understand without proper maths knowledge.

Of course I'm not saying it's impossible; However, even writing a simple text-based game, like tic-tac-toe, may prove to be challenging at first. Writing a fully-functioning text-based RPG would be really hard, comparing to tic-tac-toe.

As a programmer, you can't be lazy. You have to be curious, and you have to look for yourself. Check web for game programming, check some interviews with others, google sloperama or amit game programming, see how other people create games. Creating games is fun, but hard. It might give you a headache. But life isn't easy, is it? :)
I agree with these other people. At first it may be kinda boring with the basics but you need to learn those first because it's really important, if you are going to be programming games, that's when the fun will start to come in. Just give your self a challenge everyday to motivate your self and practice what you've learned. I have fun programming just in general.
One last thing if this is your first programming language then don't be afraid to learn a different one and come back to it, that way it will be easier to understand
Disch (9817)
If you are interested in a subject, but the book is boring you, then it's a bad book (or at least it's not the right book for you). I'd start looking for a different one.

THIS! I started to be interested at late 14, some parts were fun but when we started discussing (important!) things like RAM and memory addresses and that I thought... O.O ....

Then I got back into it 5 or so years later and the things I found boring before were really interesting now! BUT, I can't speak for everybody, because there are many skilled programmers out there who started really young. But your learning source is important IMO. If you got a book like C++ Primer (which I read) they go into every little detail and you might get very bored of it. You might want to try websites first, though everyone will say get a book, you can at least try some online tutorials and then when you're more comfortable with C++ get a book. Remember, learning a programming language is not quick.

Maybe it's not in my place to suggest which source because I'm still learning, but I recommend a visit to http://www.learncpp.com/.

Some people tend to recommend C first before C++ (or assume you know C), I can't give this opinion as I jumped into C++ without C, but maybe C would be less a burden? Then if you get comfortable with C you can step up to C++.

Also, find a pace you're comfortable with. There's nothing wrong with byte sized readings if you do them regularly. There's no rule to read 20 pages per day in one sitting.

I hope I put more good then bad in that post? Keep coding.
Last edited on
My body has a very similar reaction to technical books. I love technology, I love computers, and I like C++ although I love the thought of programming. However after reading something for a few hours, my body shuts down, basically I loose interest and find it harder to focus.

I learn best by doing, What works for me is to think of something I want to work on. Spend some time thinking about how to do it, then learn how it's done. I can spend days working on something I find interesting, even if it's already been done, I try and find a better way of doing it and that usually keeps me going.

Another idea is that if books aren't your strong point, You can still use books for reference, but you might try how-to videos. I have trouble keeping focus on a video also, but I will watch a little, then go off to play with what I learned, sometimes I return to the video and sometimes I simply start a new one or on a different subject. Since I learn best by doing it myself, this normally works for me.

Good Luck!
Thank you guys very much!
It was very helpful.
I think the reason why i find the book boring, is since i was 10 - 12 in school we mostly watched videos to learn, and rarely read. So right now i will try to watch video lessons about C++, and when i have understood them, i will try to read the book again.

Do you guys recommend anyone?
I have found a guy called :TheNewBoston on YouTube. Not sure how good he is, some say he dont explain enough and some says he is wonderful, i find him great, but if you guys know a better 1, i will gladly watch it.

Sorry for my bad English and thanks in advance :)
He explains really well in fact I learned from him but there is some stuff he actually doesn't cover, there's also CodingMadeEasy which he also teaches Sfml and some other things. I recommend watching both of their videos.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.