range for

Hi guys, I'm having a little trouble with understanding range for / vectors. I have a function for addition, the user can enter as many numbers to add until we hit 0 to exit and print. I use a vector to hold each number (for printing).

void addition()
{
	using namespace std;

cout << " == Addition ==\n" << endl;

double dNum;     // input for the current number
	double dSum = 0; // sum total
	vector<double> vStoredNums; // stores each input, used for when we print the total

// get the numbers
	do
	{
		cout << "Enter number to add (0 to finish): ";
		cin >> dNum;
		dSum += dNum;
		vStoredNums.push_back(dNum); // store the current num
	} while (dNum != 0);

// print each "num +" = total
	for (auto kkk : vStoredNums)
		cout << vStoredNums[kkk] << " + "; // need to change so we don't get an empty +

cout << " = " << dSum;

cout << endl;
}

When I hit the 0 I'm crashing. Instead of just printing the total I wanted to use a vector to hold each addition, so we could do num + num + num... = dSum. Can anyone spot what is wrong with the range for?
Last edited on
what do you mean crashing?

it works for me:
== Addition ==

Enter number to add (0 to finish): 1
Enter number to add (0 to finish): 2
Enter number to add (0 to finish): 3
Enter number to add (0 to finish): 0
2 + 3 + 0 + 1 + = 6

Use

cout << kkk  << " + "; // need to change so we don't get an empty + 

instead of

cout << vStoredNums[kkk] << " + "; // need to change so we don't get an empty + 

@metulburr

it works for me

You are a happy man!:)
@vlad, thanks just kkk worked. There's too much different sytax to remember!!! :-)

@metalburr, when I run it without vlad's change and I hit the 0 I get a crash: "Debug Assertion Failed!" (.../vc/include/vector) line 1140. "Expression: vector subscript out of range".

Also I would substitute this loop

do
	{
		cin >> dNum;
		dSum += dNum;
	} while (dNum != 0);

for

do
	{
		cin >> dNum;
		if ( dNum != 0 )
		{
			dSum += dNum;
		}
	} while (dNum != 0);
@vlad thank you again. Frustratingly I couldn't even remember how to do it that way. Everytime I learn 10 new things I forget 5 things, it is really stressing me out. I would've done that code 2 weeks ago like second nature. :(

Learning all this new stuff like classes, iterators and vectors has made me almost completely forget simple things like control structures!
Last edited on
Rather then create a new topic, I have a similar misunderstanding:

unsigned scores[10] = {0};
for (auto x : scores)
{
    x = x; // x element = x's value, i.e. element 0 = 0, 1 = 1...
    cout << scores[x];
}

I thought this would work like the vectors. I'm trying to use the range for to fill each element with it's element position.

Everything just gets filled with 0s. I thought x would be the first element (i.e hold 0)? I was looking for this equivalent:

for (int kkk=0; kkk < 10; kkk++)
{
    scores[kkk] = kkk;
    cout << scores[kkk];
}

Last edited on
In this code snip you at first initialized all elements of the array by zero.

{
    x = x; // x element = x's value, i.e. element 0 = 0, 1 = 1...
    cout << scores[x];
}

So what should be changed if a value is assigned to itself? I think that nothing shall be changed.

By the way this statement

creates copies for all elements of the array. If you want deal with original elements you should write

for (auto &x : scores)
Last edited on
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
i dont think you understand rangebased for loops (no big deal i didnt either but they can be really simple) how it works:

for(iterator : container). for the iterator you usually just want it to have auto. the iterator points to the cell of the times you ran through the loop - 1. ie if youve gone through five times it will access scores[4]. when you want to use the container in the loop, you use the iterator. if you want to change it you make the iterator an & variable. so lets say i had this:
vector<int> myvec;

for(auto& i : myvec)
      i->push_back(0);

see how i used i instead of myvec[i]? so for your thing up above

unsigned scores[10];
int j=0;

for(auto &i : scores)
{
	i = j++;
	cout<< i << endl;
}
I think I'm getting parts of it but I'm a little lost on just what we can do with the it. So if I'm correct, in this:

unsigned scores[10];
int j=0;

for(auto i : scores)
{
	i = j++;
	cout << i << endl;
}

Without the &, when I use i in the body i gets a copy (like copy by value?) and has no links to the element it got it from? i.e. you can't use member functions of whatever it was iterating? But i in the (...) will be ofcourse still be the iterator, separate from when we use i in the body?

I'm a bit lost at using it's properties, like in conditions, i.e.:

for (auto &it : vStoredNums)
     cout << it;
     if ( !it.end() )
         cout << " + ";

like here I only want the + when another number is coming next so I want to check the iterator does have a number to follow before printing the + sign. This gets an error with or without &.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.