Were to start?

In advanced, sorry if this is the wrong place to post in.

So, I was wondering.
I am new to C++ and wondering were would I start? e.g Books/Things to keep me up to date/Wiki?

I am intermediate in Java and know Lua/Love2D.
I've heard that C# is easier to learn but harder on the CPU if I were to consider publishing I would personally think C++ is better and lighter on the CPU.

I think the best way to start would be to learn C# and learn the Syntax's and the best way to handle things then when I work something out to develop a game in C++
Tips for learning?
books , definitely
closed account (z05DSL3A)
I think the best way to start would be to learn C# and learn the Syntax's and the best way to handle things then when I work something out to develop a game in C++
No. if you want to develop a game in C++ learn C++ from the start. C++ and C# are to dissimilar to view C# as a easy way to learn C++.
I second Grey Wolf. If you are already intermediate in Java, then I can't imagine that learning C# would teach you much more syntax-wise. I've heard good things about "C++ Primer", and the new edition is rewritten for C++11.
A C++ wiki?! That's actually a great idea!
The best and only way of learning is by doing. Programming is a practice, practice, practice exercise.

Books are more like a reference point for you to consult when you are stuck. In our office we got rid of our books because who uses books anymore in the age of the internet? This site for example has everything you will ever need to reference how to use functions etc.

You need somebody to give you tasks, starting small and working up. You will get there buddy just don't rely on books and stuff, download VS and just have a go!

Write me a simple number guessing game and I will mark it for you and provide you with feed back :)

Kohana
Kohana is right the way to learn programming is to be assigned a series of tasks that are each gradually more difficult than the last.

I figured this out on my own and since i didn't know of anyone who teaches it this way ive been assigning myself tasks. The first assignment i gave myself was a sorting function then tic-tac-toe next a function to solve roots (including negative roots and roots of negative numbers and negative roots of negative numbers and all sorts of funky stuff that the language doesn't ave built in functionality for) next a program for evenly distributing weighted values for a series of inputs for things like prediction markets or weighted payouts to avoid some hold out problems in economics (im very proud of this algo), now i am working on chess.

so if you like than you can use the assignments i gave myself and if anyone knows of a resource that teaches in this manner and could share it with me so i dont have to try to make up assignments for myself i would be very thankful.
Last edited on
Check out project euler for programming tasks:)
@fafner thanks! that looks like exactly what i was looking for! i just hope they problem 1 isnt already too hard.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.