C++ programs communicate with binary file.

I have never made a 2 programs before that can communicate with each other. But I am interesting in trying this. But I am not sure about how to make them communicate with each other.

My own current idea is to simply create a binary file with a format that both programs can understand and use. They simply read/write binary messages in the file when they want to share or get information from each other.

Since I am a beginner, I wonder if this is a "quick n dirty"/uggly solution.
Or do even professionals use this? Is there a name or term for this kind of communication?
Communicating through files is a really bad solution for multiple reasons. Can you explain why you need your programs to communicate at all? If they have to communicate, why are they separate programs?
I am not planning to make any speific program right now, if that's what you meant.
So I do not have a solid reason for why they should communicate.

So why do I want to do this? Just because I want to learn it. I am currently learning C++ and I guess that this is a good thing to at least have some basic knowledge about. I just want to do it as an experiment for fun.

Do you have any suggestions on how to do it if you are a beginner like me? I will not do my solution that I mention above since it's a bad idea according to you.
It's really very rare for programs to need to communicate like this, especially as a beginner. This is something you would look into when you have a decent amount of experience in C++ and you actually need to do it. I know in Windows there is a limited way to do it but I have heard from other developers that it is incredibly difficult or otherwise annoying.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.