Global variable being ambiguous?

Hello, thanks for viewing my question.

I am teaching myself C++ from a book; the program below is supposed to show an example of local and global variables and how they are used.

As I was about to run and compile my program I ran into an error: "count" is ambiguous. I use the global variable more than once in the program so here is one example: count = i* 2;.

Now I have been researching on the internet about this compile error and some said its because of the following code using namespace std; and I know this tells the compiler to use all the std namespace, but I have tired to just remove that line of code and then the cout statements turn up an error; then I tired to use the code std::cout but I have no idea what they are used for, as my book just says use using namespace std; for now.

From what I found on the internet using Google the line of code using namespace std; has something to do with the count variable or something along the lines of that?

Here is the whole program:
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

void func1();
void func2();

int count;

int main() {
	int i;

for(i=0; i<10; i++) {
		count = i* 2;
		func1();
	}
	cout << "\n\n";

return 0;
}

void func1() {
	cout << "Count: " << count;
	cout << "\n";
	func2();
}

void func2() {
	int count;

for(count=0; count<3; count++) cout << ".";
}

Thanks if you answer and help me out!

Luke...
Under the <algorithm> header, there is the std::count function, which is probably what you read about.

Your issue is from lines 8 and 29. You declared two variables with the same name. Because the count from line 8 is global, it can be seen by func2(), so it was if you had:
int a;
int a; //Error 

Edit:
My compiler just gives me a warning that the variable on line 29 "shadows" the global variable.
Last edited on
It runs fine for me. What compiler are you using?

When you refer to the global variable count, try ::count instead. Example:

void func1() {
	cout << "Count: " << ::count;
	cout << "\n";
	func2();
}
Yeah I read about the <algorithm> header. I see your point @Daleth but the program is suppose to show a global variable from line 8 and a local variable from line 29; is that right?

I am using MS visual studio 2012 ultimate @Danny Toledo also I used the ::count; and the worked! But why do I have to use that as my book doesn't tell me to; my book is wrote by Herbert Schildt and I've been told he is known for errors maybe that's why.

Thanks!
Last edited on
There is something called the global namespace.
With the std namespace, you see variables and functions scoped with std::. But the global namespace is nameless, which is why you use ::count instead.
It is a way of specifying that you want the count from the global and not local scope, like you can call ::func1() or ::operator+(1.3f, 2.0f).
Last edited on
Arrh thank you, I understand it now; I thought that was what it was used for the ::count, as I'm a beginner I wasn't sure :)

Thanks again!
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.