Simulation of life program?

Here are the directions

Write a program to implement the simulation of life as described in Scientific American by Martin Gardner. The program will be implemented on a two dimensional surface of size 60 by 60 visible elements. The rules of the simulation are as follows:
1) An initial set of cells are marked as “alive” by the user. This is generation 0. Your program will ask the user to input a set of row and column values to let the user determine which cells are “alive”. Display this generation.
2) Cells change for each succeeding generation by the following rules:
a. A living cell dies of overcrowding in the next generation if it currently has 4 or more living neighbors.
b. A living cell dies of loneliness in the next generation if it currently has only 0 or 1 living neighbors.
c. An empty cell becomes a “birth” cell (becomes alive) in the next generation if it has exactly 3 living neighbors.
d. All other cells remain unchanged.
3) The new generation becomes the current generation and is displayed.
4) After displaying each new generation, ask the user if they wish to continue to the next generation or stop at this point.

I'm not sure how to start with this program. My professor gave this to help us start, but I'm still kinda confused on this assignment. Tried looking for help with it, but I can't find anything. I even looked up how the code is supposed to work, but it is hard for me to understand it. Even when my professor demonstrated it to us, it didn't make too much sense. Do we have the user input where each living cell is and to make it loop until a certain result or will it be made for us?

First thing is first. What can I change and/or omit from this code to help me get a better start on it?

#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

#include <memory.h>		// needed for functions that start with mem
#include <stdlib.h>		// needed for system used in program below
#include <time.h>		// needed for time/clock functions

void main ()
	{
	const	long	MaxCols		(10);
	const	long	MaxRows		(10);
	const	time_t	WaitTime	(3);

bool	Board [MaxRows] [MaxCols];
			long	CurrCol;
			long	CurrRow;
			long	Generation;
			time_t	StopTime;		// time_t means unsigned 64 bit unsigned whole number

memset (Board, false, MaxRows * MaxCols * sizeof (bool));	// only guaranteed to work when setting to 0
	//	Allow user to initialize board as to which cells are alive or dead
			for (CurrRow = 0; CurrRow < MaxRows; CurrRow++)
				Board [CurrRow] [CurrRow] = true;
		for (Generation = 0; ; Generation++)
			{
	//		Show the board
			system ("cls");
			cout << "\tGeneration: " << Generation << endl;
			for (CurrRow = 0; CurrRow < MaxRows; CurrRow++)
				{
				for (CurrCol = 0; CurrCol < MaxCols; CurrCol++)
					cout << (Board [CurrRow] [CurrCol] ? '*' : ' ');
				cout << endl;
				}
	//		for each cell on the board
	//			count how many neighbors are alive
	//			apply rules to determine what happens to cell in next generation
	//		update the board
	//		ask if user wants to exit or not
			StopTime = time (0) + WaitTime;	// time (0) gets current time in seconds from Jan 1, 1970
			do	{
				} while (StopTime > time (0));	// keep looking at clock until it is the stop time
			}
	}
I think this is commonly known as Conway's Game of Life (Google it)
Background information here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conway%27s_Game_of_Life
Generally you need two separate board arrays. One will contain the current generation. The other will be used to build up the next generation, each cell in the new board depends upon the corresponding cell and its neighbours in the previous generation.

The processing then alternates between the two boards.

It is common to supply an initial set of data for the generation zero (the start position). A very simple approach is to fill it randomly. Another is to read the data from a file, or perhaps a string literal.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.