#endif 

/*
 * Test2.cpp
 *  Created on: 25/09/2013
 *      Author: Temp
 */

#include "Test2.h"
Test2::Test2(short a):j(a) {}

However the line int i(-1) gives me a syntax error. As far as I could find out this SHOULD be legal. So am I missing some obvious mistake, or is this possibly a problem with Eclipse? I'm using Kepler along with the latest CDT and MinGW.
closed account (o3hC5Di1)
Hi there,

You are not allowed to initialize class members in their declaration (at least until c++11).
The way to go is to initialize i in the same place as you do j.

Test2::Test2(short a) : i(-1), j(a) {}

I believe in C++11 you are allowed to initialize non-static members in the class declaration, but your compiler has to support it, of course.

All the best,
NwN
Even in C++11, this would have to be brace-or-equal initializer (int i = -1; or int i{-1};) see: http://ideone.com/hQxkrn
Last edited on
Thanks Cubbi, you provided the solution! I did forget to mention that I have in fact told the compiler I'm programming by the C++11 standard. However when I've used int i = -1, the compiler has then complained about i being uninitialized when I use an initializer list for my constructor. I had the same problem with a boolean, and managed to fix that using boolean a(); so I assumed the same would work for an int, and that it had a constructor taking a variable.

So using the curly brackets is the solution that works for me, and now I have to try it on the boolean too. Thanks again, Cubbi.

Oh and thanks as well for introducing me to ideone.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.