Visual Express 2012: error LNK2001

Pages: 12
Hey guys,

need ur help. I updated Visual Express 2010 to 2012 because i got too much failures. Now i tried to write a small "hello world" program but i am always getting this message:

LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__GetTickCount64@0

I found this page:
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/be47241a-8e42-4894-b0eb-503fad6bcdd1/error-lnk2001-unresolved-external-symbol-impgettickcount640

I dont know how to solve it.
Thanks for help

#include<iostream>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
	cout << "Hey" << endl;
}
What's your system type? is it 64 bit or 32?
It´s 64 bit
I think you just need to install the windows platform SDK, which will install a lot of libraries. In the install location's lib directory will be the file ws2_32.lib, which is the Winsock2 library you want to link against.
Here give it a try and let me know if you still need help
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/bb980924.aspx
I did already. I installed Microsoft Directx SDK (June 2010) and Microsoft Plattform SDK. And i tried to link these libraries but after that i got all this messages. Bevor i tried to link them everything was fine.

I found ws2_32.lib.
But i think i´m probably linking wrong. Can you tell me where exactly i have to go to link ws2_32.lib?

I appreciate ur help.
you need to add Ws2_32.lib to the list of libraries you link to.

In your project properties:

Configuration Properties -> Linker -> Input -> Additional Dependencies.

Then add ws2_32.lib to the semi-colon separated list.
In "Additional Dependencies" i clicked on edit and put ws2_32.lib to the list.
Still getting the same message. Dont know what to do.
that's weird, it did work for me back when i had this problem, anyways, try contacting the microsoft's support team and notify them about this issue, meanwhile i'm gonna look around the net and see what i can find on this error, i'll let you know if i find a solution that could resolve the problem.
Ok. Thanks for helping.
Is there no way to give Visual a reset? Because it worked very well couple weeks ago. Then i tried to link some libraries because i wanted to learn DirectX and now its not working. Dont understand. Hope u find something.

Thanks a lot.
NowSee
Well you could reset all environment settings to one of the default collections of settings which might solve the problem, here:

1) - On the Tools menu, click Import and Export Settings.
2) - On the Welcome to the Import and Export Settings Wizard page, click Reset all settings and then click Next.
3) - If you want to save your current settings combination, click Yes, save my current settings, specify a file name, and then click Next.
—or—
If you want to delete your current settings combination, choose No, just reset settings, overwriting my current settings, and then click Next. This option does not delete default settings, which will still be available the next time you use the wizard.
4) - In Which collection of settings do you want to reset to, select a settings collection from the list.
5) - Click Finish.
Hey i did it. But now iam getting this message:

fatal error LNK1327: failure during running rc.exe
what's your SDK version? is it 6.0 or 7.0?
Your SDK should be 8.0A, do you have the 8.0A version? if not then that's the issue if so then i do have some instructions that could resolve the problem
Last edited on
You mean Microsoft Platform SDK? I don´t know which version i installed. But i think this could cause the problem. I think its not 8.0A
Check it go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows

There are three folders named:

v6.0A
v8.0
v8.0A
here try following the instructions here:
http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/499476/c-project-resource-compiler-fails-with-rc-fatal-error-rc1106-invalid-option-ologo#details

click on the "Workarrounds (2)" tab
also delete the v6.0A, you don't need it anymore
Last edited on
He is talking about version 7.x but i only got v6.0A, v8.0 and v8.0A. He wants to replace v.6 with v.7 but i dont have a version 7.
Hope u understand what i mean.
Well you could always uninstall and re-install it, just make sure you remove it completely (control panel -> programs -> Programs and Features) i know this might not be the solution you were hoping for but sometimes the simplest and easiest way to overcome errors is by fully uninstalling the program then re-installing anew.

-Sorry i couldn't help further, hope your compiler starts working properly again in the near future.
Last edited on
Pages: 12