little coonfusion about pointer. "why there is a break point occuring. in line 24 (*d=**r)????

"why there is a break point occuring. in line 24 (*d=**r)????

#include<iostream>
using namespace std;

void main(){
int *p, x=10;
p=&x;
cout<<*p<<endl;

int *q=p; // copying of 1st pointer to other
cout<<*q<<endl;

int **r=&p; // pointer to pointer
cout<<"r"<<r<<endl;
cout<<"*r"<<*r<<endl;
cout<<"**r"<<**r<<endl;

int *d= new int; // creating new space in memory
d=*r;
cout<<*d<<endl;
d=0;
delete d; // deleting the space
cout<<d<<endl; //0000

*d = **r; // break point occuring here????????????????
cout<<*d<<endl;
d=0;
delete d;
// delete &d;

// cout<<*d;

}
Last edited on
Nvm
Last edited on
you mean when i placed NULL on "d", there is no need to delete "d" (deference)???
is that u saying. Give me hint or concept so that i understand.
Nvm
Last edited on
You have a conceptual problem here.

A pointer refers to a variable that exists elsewhere. When you say delete aptr;, you are not actually deleting the pointer, you are deleting the variable that the pointer points to.

With that in mind... take a look at what you're doing here:

d=0;
 delete d; // deleting the space 

You are assigning a null ptr (0) to 'd'. This means d no longer points to anything. Then immediately after that, you are attempting to delete what d points to.... but d doesn't point to anything!

You are making similar mistakes all over this code. I'm going to walk through the logic here:

int main(){         // <- must be int main(), never void main()
    int *p, x=10;   // <- creates a pointer 'p' and a regular int 'x'
    p=&x;           // <- p now "points to" x
    cout<<*p<<endl; // <- this prints the contents of whatever p points to. Since p points to x,
                    // this will print the contents of x, which is 10

// so far... all of that is OK

int *q=p;       // <- OK  this makes a new pointer q which is a copy of p.  IE:  it points to the same thing
                    // p points to (which is x)
    cout<<*q<<endl; // <- so since q points to x, this will print "10" because x still contains 10

int **r=&p;            // <- r is a pointer to a pointer to an int.  Here, r points to p
     cout<<"r"<<r<<endl;    // <- this will print the contents of r (which is an address).  So this is like printing &p
     cout<<"*r"<<*r<<endl;  // <- this prints the contents of whatever r points to
                            // since r points to p, and p contains an address, this also prints an address
                            // here, we are printing the address of x.  so:  &x
     cout<<"**r"<<**r<<endl;// <- this dereferences twice, which takes whatever r points to... then takes whatever
                            // THAT points to and prints it.  So since *r is p, and *p is x... **r is x.  So this will print 10

//  Here's where it gets crummy:
    int *d= new int;    // <- this creates a new "unnamed" variable in memory.  Let's call this variable "foo".
                        // Our 'd' pointer is pointing to foo.
    d=*r;               // <- this makes d point to SOMETHING ELSE (specifically, x).  So now 'foo' is no longer being pointed to
                        //  IE:  it is a memory leak. It has no name, and isn't being pointed to, so it is impossible to access.
    cout<<*d<<endl;     // <- this prints whatever d points to.  Since d points to x, and x is 10, this prints 10
    d=0;                // <- this makes it so d points to nothing
    delete d;           // <- this attempts to delete whatever d points to, but since d points to nothing... it does nothing
    cout<<d<<endl;

// You PROBABLY meant to do this:
    {
        int *d = new int;   // <- create "foo", d points to foo
        *d = x;             // <- assign x (10) to whatever d points to.  Since d points to foo, this is like doing
                            //   foo = x;
        cout << *d << endl; // prints foo, which is 10
        delete d;           // <- deletes whatever d points to ... which is foo.  So this eliminates the memory used by foo.
                            // here, 'foo' no longer exists
                            // since 'd' still points to foo, but foo no longer exists.. this means 'd' is now a BAD POINTER
        d = 0;              // <- make d point to nothing (null) so it's clear that it's a bad pointer.
    }

// Continuing on....

*d = **r;   // <- this is attempting to dereference r twice (giving you 'x') and assign that value to whatever
                // d points to.  BUT 'd' POINTS TO NOTHING BECAUSE YOU JUST SET IT TO A NULL POINTER
                //  therefore this will typically cause a crash.

EDIT: formatted the comments a bit better
Last edited on
This is not my problem but
good explanation @Disch
you rocks! ;D
Thanks a lot bro for attending my mistake. this really helped me to improve my concepts. :))
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.