Easy question regarding parameters of functions!

I have a ton of int vectors in my main function that I pass to another function.

void function(std::vector<int> &vec1, std::vector<int> &vec2, std::vector<int> &vec3)
{
   //Random stuff
}

The above is just an example in my actual code I am passing 6,7,8 vectors to a function with longer names. My question is for the sake of efficient coding and readability should I use typedef and instead of using:

std::vector<int> &vec1

use

vi &vec1 //vi = vector int from type def

so my function would look like

void function(vi &vec1, vi &vec2, vi &vec3)

or is there a way to pass multiple variable names of the same variable type at once , thanks :)
multiple variable names of the same variable type at once
std::vector<std::vector<int>> :)

Or use typedefs (in C++11 write using vi = std::vector<int>)
for the sake of efficient coding and readability should I use typedef

It's all a matter of style and clarity to the reader. If using vi as a shorthand for std::vector<int> is clear in your code, then I see nothing wrong with using it.
I think the choice of the name vi to stand for a vector of ints is quite clear.

is there a way to pass multiple variable names of the same variable type at once

No

edit: After seeing MiNiPaa's response, I would clarify by saying "Not as separate arguments".
Last edited on
std::vector<std::vector<int>>

How would I write the variable name of each with that , to pass to "function"
Why do you have to pass so many vectors to function? It smells fishy here.
Because each vector contains unique values that need to be present at all times, I have multiple functions that each process the values differently and I don't want to use global variables so I pass them from the main function to the other functions. It works perfectly but I was just wondering if there was a shorter way of writing each individual variable to the function.

Looks as if using typedef will be the solution, its only going to be me coding it but I also love looking at neat efficient code for my own sake, just wondering if its seen as "incorrect" to do so :)
How different your values is? Do they have relation to each other? Couldn't they be grouped into structs?

if its seen as "incorrect" to do so
Absolutely not. If I would write
std::unordered_map<std::string,std::function<std::pair<bool, std::string>(std::string)>> each time I need it...
Couldn't they be grouped into structs?

Possibly! I havent done any work with structs yet (still learning) , would you be able to give me a brief overview of how a struct works and how they could be implemented in this situation? (I will research in depth later today)
Last edited on
For example if you need to process Students with first and second name and term grade.
You can do it without structs like:
std::cout << "Enter number of students: ";
std::cin >> n;
std::vector<std::string> firstName;
std::vector<std::string> lastName;
std::vector<int> grades;
for (int i=0; i<n; ++i) {
    //...
    firstName.push_back(f);
    //...
}
or, with structs:
struct Student 
{
    std::string firstName;
    std::string lastName;
    int grade;
};
//...
std::cout << "Enter number of students: ";
std::cin >> n;
std::vector<Student> students;
for (int i=0; i<n; ++i) {
    Student student;
    std::cin >> student.firstName;
    //...
    students.push_back(student);
}
And then you can pass ypur students vector to functions and use it like students[0].grade = totalGrades/gradesNum;
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.