VS2013 to CD Only?

I finally decided to update my compiler to the latest version, and the Visual C++ 2013 Compiler is supposed to better support the C++ 11 Standard.

So I downloaded Visual Studio Express 2013 for Windows Desktop.

I had planned to download the installer and install the program later. However, it doesn't seem to offer that option. When I click on the downloaded file, the only option provided is to burn to CD. I don't have blank CDs but I do have USB drives. And I'd rather not go through the 1.5 hour download/install process again to install directly from the website.

Am I missing something? Am I not able to copy the install program to a USB? I have to burn it to CD?!
Am I missing something? Am I not able to copy the install program to a USB? I have to burn it to CD?!

The RTM version of the ISO is over 800 MB in size so it can only be burned to a DVD.

That said, I see no reason why the installation wouldn't work from anywhere other than a disc, and any decent archiver out there (WinRAR, 7-Zip) should be able to extract the files from the ISO, which you may then move where convenient.
Last edited on
I spent over an hour and a half downloading the file "VS2013_RTM_DskExp-ENU.iso" (800 MB) to my computer. I had hoped to install VS2013 from that file (it would be nice to back it up on a USB drive, but that is another matter I won't worry about right now.)

However, when I double-click on this file, the only thing that happens is that I am prompted to burn a DVD (see the following image):

http://imgur.com/eVnkVQJ

I do not see an option to skip the DVD Burn step and proceed to actually install the software. I'd like to avoid spending another 1.5+ hours doing the install directly from Microsoft's server. I mean, I already have the software downloaded (I thought).

Do I have to go buy a blank DVD, burn the software to the DVD, and then run the installation from the DVD? Seriously?!
Last edited on
The easiest way is to use virtual drive. Basically it is software that emulates an optical drive.
I use [url]http://www.slysoft.com/en/virtual-clonedrive.html[/url]
However, when I double-click on this file, the only thing that happens is that I am prompted to burn a DVD (see the following image):

If you re-read my previous post, you'll see that I mention file archivers.

Install one (good choices are WinRAR and 7-Zip) and then if you right-click on the ISO an option should appear to extract its contents.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.