Strings - finding a letter

Hi,

I'm trying to enter a name as a string, and then do a search for a specific letter in the string. I'm new at this.

The 'first' name I want to enter is 'david'. (Last name is irrelevant for this project.)

It'd like the search to begin at the 3 position in the string, which should be the letter "i", so that the search character, "d", would be found at position 4.

My problem is on line 56. I thought using,

first.find("d".3)

would say to search for the letter "d", starting at position 3.

Any ideas how to fix this? It seems straightforward.

// This program will have user input names and have them stored as strings.  Computer will then output them.

#include <iostream>
#include <string>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
	string full_name;  // creating a string variable named 'name'
	string first, last; // creating 2 different string varaibles, 'first' and 'last'
	string combine;

// This will have the user enter both their first and last name	using 1 variable

cout << "What is your full name? ";

getline(cin,full_name);     /* A user enters their name. This is different from how you enter numbers, just using the 'cin' command
						      The value they entered (command 'cin'), is assigned to string varaible 'my_name'
						      Note:  You can enter a first and last name, with a space between them here, and it will store it with the space.
							  You do not need to use an underscore '_'
					      */

cout << "My name is: " << full_name << endl;

// This will have the user enter both their first and last name, seperatly,	using 2 variables

cout << "\n" << endl;

cout << "Enter your first name: ";
	getline(cin,first);

cout << "Enter your last name: ";
	getline(cin,last);

cout << "Your name is: " << first << " " << last << endl;

// data output

cout << "\nLength of your first name: " << first.length() << " characters" << endl;
	cout << "Length of your last name: " << last.length() << " characters" << endl;
	cout << "Length of your whole name: " << full_name.length() - 1 << " characters" << endl; // this outputs as a number, so the "-1" removes the 1 space character

// this combines 2 strings into 1
	combine = first;
	combine.insert(combine.length(), " " + last);  /* - This will join the first ane last name, and assign it to the string 'combine, e.g. Bob Smith
												    - If you wanted to, you could put a '-' mark, like "-" instead, and the first and last names would be hyphenated 
													instead of spaced apart, e.g. e.g. Bob-Smith
													- if you just did combine.insert(combine.length(), last); then the first and last names would be joined together, e.g. BobSmith
                                                 */
	cout << "\nYour combined first and last name is: " << combine << endl;

// find position of a letter in the first name

cout << "\nThe letter 'd' was found at: " << first.find("d".3) << endl;

/*

for (int i = 0; i < first.length(); i++)
{
	cout << "\nThe letter 'g' was found at: " << first.find("g") << endl;
}
// cout << "\nThe letter 'g' was found at: " << first.find("g") << endl; // by default, you start searching at character position 0. It is case-sensitive

// do a for loop to end the search after all character spaces are checked so that no duplicates would be missed. Therefore, probably have to feed in string length into for loop?

*/
cin.ignore();
cin.get();

return 0;
}
first.find("d".3)

This is correct. Your only problem with this is that you have a period (.) instead of a comma (,)
Nice! Thanks you.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.