Extracting data from txt file

I am currently working on a C++ project that will calculate the passer rating for NFL QBs. The code is required to extract data from a txt file that is organized like this:

Andy Dalton          CIN 252 410 2954 21 15
Andrew Luck          IND 226 386 2593 15 7
Robert Griffin III   WSH 222 372 2714 14 10
Alex Smith           KC  235 398 2443 14 5
Carson Palmer        ARI 250 395 2887 16 15
EJ Manuel            BUF 127 217 1385 8  4

Basically, I need to extract the info from each column and use the values from each line to calculate the passer rating for each QB, then reorganize the values in a neat table. Right now, I am having trouble figuring out how I can extract the data from each line and save the values into different variables I can use to calculate the passer rating.

#include <cstdlib>
#include <iostream>
#include <fstream>
#include <string>
using namespace std;

string filename, firstName, lastName, fullName, teamABV, line;
ifstream qbinfo;
int completions, attempts, yards, touchdowns, interceptions;

int main()
{
    cout << "This program will calculate the average passer rating based " << endl;
    cout << "on data from a text file." << endl;

cout << "Please enter your full file's path." << endl;
    cin >> filename;//Get file name for user input

qbinfo.open(filename.c_str());//Open input file

while (qbinfo.fail())//In case of error
    {
        cout << filename << " is an incorrect input. " << endl;
        cout << "Please reenter your full file name and path." << endl;//Re-do
        cin >> filename;
    }         

system("pause");
}

Unfortunately, this is all I have so far. I will note that, as for the format of the text file, columns 1-20 include the QB's name, 22-24, include the team abbreviation, and from 26 on is separated by white space. Can someone help me pass this road block?
Any takers? I am totally stumped.
How I would do this:

Read it in, in one string, using the getline(). Then take out the first 20 letters, and this will be your QB's name. Then stick the rest into a stringstream and read it using the >> operator.

I'll explain more if you need elaboration, but it's probably faster for you to just look up what a stringstream is.

-blueberry
Erm, I am a very new beginner, so I would appreciate elaboration, as it would be more specific to my post instead of a general understanding.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.