Character arrays

I'm supposed to be designing a game for my final project for my introduction to C++ class. I'm having trouble with arrays, character arrays to be specific and I'm not sure if what i'm trying to do is doable or not. I'm trying to put characters as follows:

+,-,|,X,O

into my character array in different orders to form an board so that I can use another array to point to certain matrix coordinates in it to update the board. Everytime I try to put the character into the array manually and declare each grid coordinate, it keeps giving me an error saying that the variable is undeclared or a function is expected before the + or - sign.

This is my code thus far.

#include <iostream>
#include <string>
#include <iomanip>

using namespace std;

int main ()
{
	int inputArray[9][9] = {};		//array used to get user input and update board
	char asciiBoard[37][19];		//array to store board characters in
	int x = 1, y = 1;           //used as part of my test in for statements
	string playGame;

cout <<	"                                                                                                                                     "
		 << "\n    cccccccccccccccc   ooooooooooo   nnnn  nnnnnnnn       qqqqqqqqq   qqqqquuuuuu    uuuuuu      eeeeeeeeeeee    rrrrr   rrrrrrrrr   "
		 << "\n  cc:::::::::::::::c oo:::::::::::oo n:::nn::::::::nn    q:::::::::qqq::::qu::::u    u::::u    ee::::::::::::ee  r::::rrr:::::::::r  "
		 << "\n c:::::::::::::::::co:::::::::::::::on::::::::::::::nn  q:::::::::::::::::qu::::u    u::::u   e::::::eeeee:::::eer:::::::::::::::::r "
		 << "\nc:::::::cccccc:::::co:::::ooooo:::::onn:::::::::::::::nq::::::qqqqq::::::qqu::::u    u::::u  e::::::e     e:::::err::::::rrrrr::::::r"
		 << "\nc::::::c     ccccccco::::o     o::::o  n:::::nnnn:::::nq:::::q     q:::::q u::::u    u::::u  e:::::::eeeee::::::e r:::::r     r:::::r"
		 << "\nc:::::c             o::::o     o::::o  n::::n    n::::nq:::::q     q:::::q u::::u    u::::u  e:::::::::::::::::e  r:::::r     rrrrrrr"
		 << "\nc:::::c             o::::o     o::::o  n::::n    n::::nq:::::q     q:::::q u::::u    u::::u  e::::::eeeeeeeeeee   r:::::r            "
		 << "\nc::::::c     ccccccco::::o     o::::o  n::::n    n::::nq::::::q    q:::::q u:::::uuuu:::::u  e:::::::e            r:::::r            "
		 << "\nc:::::::cccccc:::::co:::::ooooo:::::o  n::::n    n::::nq:::::::qqqqq:::::q u:::::::::::::::uue::::::::e           r:::::r            "
		 << "\n c:::::::::::::::::co:::::::::::::::o  n::::n    n::::n q::::::::::::::::q  u:::::::::::::::u e::::::::eeeeeeee   r:::::r            "
		 << "\n  cc:::::::::::::::c oo:::::::::::oo   n::::n    n::::n  qq::::::::::::::q   uu::::::::uu:::u  ee:::::::::::::e   r:::::r            "
		 << "\n    cccccccccccccccc   ooooooooooo     nnnnnn    nnnnnn    qqqqqqqq::::::q     uuuuuuuu  uuuu    eeeeeeeeeeeeee   rrrrrrr            "
		 << "\n                                                                   q:::::q                                                           "
		 << "\n                                                                   q:::::q                                                           "
		 << "\n                                                                  q:::::::q                                                          "
		 << "\n                                                                  q:::::::q                                                          "
		 << "\n                                                                  qqqqqqqqq                                                          \n\n";                                                                                                                                   
	cout << endl;

cout << "Would you like to play Conquer? Enter Yes or No: ";
	cin >> playGame;
	cout << endl;

if (playGame == "No" || playGame == "no")
	{
		return 0;
	}

cout << "Conquer is a two player game in which players battle each other for control of the board.\n"
		 << "To win a game of Conquer, every space on the board must be filled and the player with the\n"
		 << "most pieces wins. Players are allowed one move per turn. Players can move one of their pieces\n"
		 << "any number of spaces in any direction. Moving your piece one space will duplicate that piece\n"
		 << "to that space. If players move their piece more than one space, they will move their piece\n"
		 << "without duplicating it to the new space. If a player moves their piece into a space bordering\n"
		 << "enemy pieces, those pieces are converted into pieces of the player who made the move. Player \n"
		 << "pieces can be convertedany number of times so long as an empty space is bordering it. The player\n"
		 << "pieces will be a 'X' and an 'O'. To move your piece, players will be asked to enter the grid\n"
		 << "location for their piece and the grid location for where they would like to move it.\n\n";
	cout << endl;

cout << setw(50) << "This will be your board for the game\n\n"
         << setw(50) << "    +---+---+---+---+---+---+---+	    \n"		
		 << setw(50) << "    | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 |	    \n"		
		 << setw(50) << "+---+---------------------------+---+ \n"		
		 << setw(50) << "| 1 | X |   |   |   |   |   | O | 1 | \n"		
		 << setw(50) << "+---|---+---+---+---+---+---+---|---+ \n"
		 << setw(50) << "| 2 |   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 2 | \n"
		 << setw(50) << "| 3 |   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 3 | \n"
		 << setw(50) << "| 4 |   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 4 | \n"
		 << setw(50) << "| 5 |   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 5 | \n"
		 << setw(50) << "| 6 |   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 6 | \n"
		 << setw(50) << "| 7 | O |   |   |   |   |   | X | 7 | \n"
		 << setw(50) << "    | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 |	    \n"
		 << setw(50) << "    +---+---+---+---+---+---+---+	   \n\n";
	cout << endl;

for (int c = -1; c <= 1; c++)				//for statements helping me test
    {                                           //to make sure I can change data
            for (int i = -1; i <= 1; i++)       //in my array to "convert" pieces
            {
                if (inputArray[y+c][x+i] == 0)
				{
					inputArray[y+c][x+i] = 1;
				}
			}
    }

for (int c = 1; c < 8; c++)					
    {
            for (int i = 1; i < 8; i++)
            {
				cout << inputArray[c][i] << " ";
            }
		cout << endl;
    }
    char scrnHold;
    cin >> scrnHold;

return 0;
}
Could you show the code you use to input into the array?
I don't have any code made up to input into the asciiBoard array. I was asking if anyone could help me with that. I couldn't think of how to do it and come out with what I have designed atm. I was trying to also manually input the board into the array but that wasn't working. What I mean by manually inputting the board into the array would be like what I'm doing currently with the inputArray with the code i've currently wrote up for the game today.

int inputArray[9][9] = {{},{ 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 2, 0},{},{},{},{},{},{ 0, 2, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0},{}};
		//Setting up input board for play 
To manually input into the asciiBoard array use code similar to this:
asciiBoard[2][4] = '+';
Remember to use single quotes, not double quotes around the character.
Awesome. I got it to work. Thanks. I think I was trying to use full quotes instead of single and it didn't even occur to me. It's always the little things.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.