need help understaning a gdb error

Pages: 12
I am trying to make an illegal access? Is it possible that the bit pattern maybe there in
memory in the vector, but the vector is on the stack and hence out-of-scope by
the time control returns from the call?

This
uint16_t 
ldu1::lcf() const
{    
    int i;
    uint16_t lcf;
    printf("\n      LCF:  ");
    for(i=0; i<8; i++) cout << decoded_lcw_vec[i]; // how do you know that decoded_lcw_vec contains 8 entries? where does it come from?
    for(i=0; i<8; i++) lcf = decoded_lcw_vec[i];
    return lcf;
}
looks very dangerous.

At least change it like so:
uint16_t 
ldu1::lcf() const
{    
    int i;
    uint16_t lcf = 0; // Note
    printf("\n      LCF:  ");
    for(i=0; i<decoded_lcw_vec.size(); i++)
{
 cout << decoded_lcw_vec[i];
lcf <<= 1;
//lcf |= decoded_lcw_vec[decoded_lcw_vec.size() - i - 1]; // most significant bit right
lcf |= decoded_lcw_vec[i]; // most significant bit left

}
    return lcf;
}
Last edited on
this is how i know:
bit_vector decoded_lcw_vec(corrected_array, corrected_array + sizeof corrected_array / sizeof corrected_array[0]) ; 
    printf( "\n\n Decode LDU1 LCW Vector Complete:");
    for(int i = 0 ; i < 72; i++ )  cout << decoded_lcw_vec[i];    

gives output:

Decode LDU1 LCW Vector Complete:000000000000000001000000000000000000000000000001010011000100110101010001

the values are in the vector. so what you are saying is I should not be able to read only 8 of them at a time? the bits are in order. i know where that data payload is, but i am going to try what you have shown above; and I get a seg fault:

Program terminated with signal 11, Segmentation fault.
#0  0xb2d5e6f4 in ldu1::lcf (this=0x0) at ldu1.cc:136
136	    for(i=0; i<decoded_lcw_vec.size(); i++)
(gdb) bt
#0  0xb2d5e6f4 in ldu1::lcf (this=0x0) at ldu1.cc:136
#1  0xae9309b8 in ?? ()

Last edited on
So, no matter how I try to do it, the program seg faults when trying to access the vector, out side of the function where it is filled. That vector should, at least I was under the impression it would, persist until the the class was destroyed. This means what? It has to be i am trying to make illegal access right? How can this be since I declared the vector private in the .h file and the class has not been destructed??
Last edited on
the problem must be when filling the vector:

bit_vector decoded_lcw_vec(corrected_array, corrected_array + sizeof corrected_array / sizeof corrected_array[0]) ; 

i am putting the type before the name and so the compiler thinks the variable is local to that function. but if i take that type away, even though i declared it private in the .h file, i get this compile time error:

ldu1.cc:343:106: error: no match for call to '(bit_vector {aka std::vector<bool>}) (int [72], int*)'

what can be done here?
Last edited on
bit_vector decoded_lcw_vec(corrected_array[0], corrected_array + sizeof corrected_array / sizeof corrected_array[0]); What was I thinking...
or
bit_vector decoded_lcw_vec(std::begin(corrected_array), std::end(corrected_array));
Last edited on
i have no problem getting the values into the vector. the problem is the type 'bit_vector' in front of the the 'decoded_lcw_vec' . its making that variable local instead of a class variable.
density wrote:
i have no problem getting the values into the vector. the problem is the type 'bit_vector' in front of the the 'decoded_lcw_vec' . its making that variable local instead of a class variable.
I misunderstood, sorry.
If bit_vector decoded_lcw_vec(...) ; is in a function, then the decoded_lcw_vec you're copying to is local to that function.
If decoded_lcw_vec is already declared somewhere else and you want to re-fill it try...
std::copy(std::begin(corrected_array), std::end(corrected_array), decoded_lcw_vec.begin());

If I'm misunderstanding again, try posting more code, like where the vector is defined and where you are trying to fill it.
Last edited on
it is declared private in the .h file. but it wont compile like that, i dont understand the error on compile:

ldu1.cc: In member function 'void ldu1::correct_lcw(int*)': ldu1.cc:340:106: error: no match for call to '(bit_vector {aka std::vector<bool>}) (int [72], int*)' –

Thanks.
if i use a raw array instead of a vector the program works perfectly. I am just not understanding why declaring the typedef vector in the header gives a compile error.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.
Pages: 12