Reinstalling libraries, uninstalling libraries.

Regarding this topic, is there anything I should keep in mind?
I'm trying to reinstall SDL because either it or SDL_Image wasn't installed properly by yours truly.

Should I redo environment variables (PATH)? Even if I'm reinstalling to the same directory?

Also is "installing" the correct nomenclature for what I'm doing with these libraries. It's not like installing an application. It's a bit different, it seems to me.

Also, what of my build options? (compiler is code::blocks)

Thanks in advance, as always.

Should I redo environment variables (PATH)? Even if I'm reinstalling to the same directory?

Nope

Also is "installing" the correct nomenclature for what I'm doing with these libraries. It's not like installing an application. It's a bit different, it seems to me.

Of course its not like installing an app. You are installing a library. What did you expect? :P

Also, what of my build options? (compiler is code::blocks)

Code::Blocks is not a compiler its an IDE. It comes with MinGW compiler. So you have to download the pre-build one for MinGW from SDL's site and then there is no need to build it.

Follow this tutorial to set up SDL correctly: http://lazyfoo.net/SDL_tutorials/lesson01/windows/codeblocks/index.php
Of course its not like installing an app. You are installing a library. What did you expect? :P

Well, I didn't know what to expect. Google searches yielded poor results for "reinstalling libraries c++" so I started to wonder about the terms I was using.

It's funny you linked to lazyfoo, because that's whose tutorial I was using.

Though, just for SDL_Image. I got SDL to install correctly and was using it just fine with someone else's tutorials on another site, and when I came to lazyfoo, there was a sudden need to have SDL_Image.

And that's when I started having problems.

I got a version of SDL_Image to match my outdated SDL, but for some reason code::blocks says it expects SDL2_Image headers and libraries, not the version I chose.

So at this point I thought I'd say "screw it" and reinstall SDL 2.0, SDL2_Image, and just do lazyfoo's beta SDL 2.0 tutorials.

I'm just irritated because I don't get much time for programming and when I do it's so much setup and so little actual writing programs.
Well I used Notepad++ to write code and compile from the command line when learning SDL. Its too much to set up this and that in an IDE, so its better off the classic way. Also, I'd say just use .bmp images and follow the rest of the tutorial because you are not making an "actual game" at the moment. Just use SDL_LoadBMP("myimgfile.bmp"); instead of SDL_Image's load image function. It doesn't matter much if you learn the whole thing with BMP because that's nothing to stop you.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.