What should I do next?

Hi, hope this isn't too long.
I just want to ask people who are experienced in C++ programming and how they have got themselves to become a professional programmer; that is my dream job, I'm only 16, go to a computing and IT course at college and I have started to learn C++ via a book, I am on module 9 out of 12.

So, my real question is what should I do to become a professional C++ programmer, which path might be the best and is there anything you could recommend or how did you become a professional programmer?. Also its quite hard to learn C++ from a book now college has kicked in.

Sorry if this might be an non related question or whatever.

Thanks...
Last edited on
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
there are going to be better answers, but ill give what help i can. firstly, i would move this to the lounge as these sections are dedicated to problems concerning actual code. firstly, as a 17 year old, i dont know what would require becoming professional, but i would imagine you would want to immerse yourself in many languages and learn how to do things in it
Hi SoftMOUNT,

As with anything in life, if you wish to become good at it, you apply yourself.
Spend as much time as you can on your project of choice, and learn as much as you can.

Of course, had you said what kind of programming you wanted to do (develop games, design programs for the Space program, write phone apps), these gentlemen may be able to steer you in the right direction. I will give you one piece of advice, if you truly want to be a professional programmer... then don't learn the tricks of the trade until after you learn the trade first.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.