Question about handles

In class the instructor said "you can use handles to increment pointers in an array"

example please.

Thanks!

Tell you instructor to go back to the art department.
PanGalactic + 1

If your instructor doesn't know the terminology, then they shouldn't be teaching the class. No part of that sentence makes any sense. You can iterate through an array by incrementing a pointer, but what you have written there isn't even close to meaning the same thing.
I mean he mentioned it in class, is not like he don't know lol. I just want more elaboration on it. That's all.

I rewatch the lecture vid what he said word by word is
"Handles can be useful when you want to change a pointer that is passed into the function. For instance, to advance a pointer in an array."

I am the one who doesn't know what's going on not my instructor XD.
Last edited on
Then he's using the word "handle" in a way that's utterly different to how it's normally used. We can't know what he means, because we don't know what idiosyncratic definition of "handle" he's using.

EDIT: Presumably he's already explained to you what he means by "handle"?
Last edited on
A handle is an opaque identifier used by a software system for some object. The handle has meaning to the handle issuer alone, and not to the handle recipient. A handle is typically a native type for efficiency (an integer or a void*) but it's not uncommon to see strings used as handles when the scope of that handle extends beyond the application itself. A session ID in a HTTP session is a common example of string handle.
At this point we can only guess at what he is talking about. From the context of your post he either means 'iterator' or more generically 'identifier'. Is any part of this maybe translated from another language? Because that would explain the words being subbed in such an odd way.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.