Trouble using std::unique_ptr

So being the humble human I am during my never ending endeavor to learn I found this example code in my book, promptly attempting to compile and run it I found that std::unique_ptr is in fact (according to my compiler)it is not a member of std in direct opposition to what my book said, If anyone could help me out here I would be very thankful, on a side note I'm running codeblocks on linux but the compiler is up to date. I know it should be member of memory but nothing appears to occur between the two.
  #include <iostream>
#include <memory> // include this to use std::unique_ptr
using namespace std;

class Date
{
private:
    int Day;
    int Month;
    int Year;

std::string DateInString;

public:
    //Constructor that initializs the objext to a day, month and year
    Date(int InputDay, int InputMonth, int InputYear)
    : Day(InputDay), Month(InputMonth), Year(InputYear) {};

void DisplayDate()
    {
        std::cout << Day << " / " << Month << " / " << Year << std::endl;
    }
};

int main()
{
    std::unique_ptr<int> pDynamicAllocInteger(new int);
    *pDynamicAllocInteger = 42;

//use smart pointer type like an int*
    std::cout << "Intiger value is: " << *pDynamicAllocInteger << std::endl;

std::unique_ptr<Date> pHoliday(new Date(25, 11, 2011));
    std::cout << "The new instance of date contains: ";

//use pHoliday just as you would a Date*
    pHoliday->DisplayDate();

//no need to do the following when using unique_ptr:
    //delete pDynamicAlocInteger;
    //delete pHoliday;

return 0;
}
std::unique_ptr is part of the C++11 standard. It looks like your compiler does not support this feature of C++11. Perhaps consider using a different compiler?
unique_ptr is part of the stdandard from the language version C++11 on.
You need to update your compiler in order to use it (your book should have mention that)
On Linux, so you're probably using GCC.

GCC has many "up to date" versions (4.3 through to 4.8 are actively maintained), to get the C++11 capabilities you need GCC 4.7.x or GCC 4.8.x, many Linux distributions don't have either of these (Fedora 20 has GCC 4.4 for instance). The one popular distro I know that tends to track the latest greatest GCC is Ubuntu (Ubuntu 13.10 has GCC 4.8).

So, check your GCC version (gcc -v), if it's not high enough then you'll need to do one of the following:

1) find a more up to date GCC package.
2) install a different distribution.
3) compile the newer GCC yourself.

Post back if you want more advice on any of these options.
Last edited on
You need to switch on C++ 11 features when using GCC with the flag -std=c++11.
You need to switch on C++ 11 features when using GCC with the flag -std=c++11.

@kbw do you know how he'd do that with his CodeBlocks IDE? (I've never used it before, why is it so popular all of a sudden, has everyone abandoned Eclipse?)
Forgot about the flag... On CodeBlocks you just go to settings -> Compiler and debugger -> Check the flag for have g++ follow the C++00 standard.

@ValliusDax - People definitely still use Eclipse for making Android apps. I'm not sure of it's popularity for other things though.

@Mats, Hey it worked just dandy, I knew it was up to date but for some reason C++11 wasn't selected instead 98 something was. Thanks guys for all your help ,and sorry for the slow response time.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.