Requirements analysis for developing a game?

closed account (ypfz3TCk)
I'm thinking of developing a simple classic game like pacman or galacta. I would have thought that the first step would be to write out a user / system requirements document of some kind before writing a single line of code. I was just wondering if people here who do game projects start in this way or not. If you don't do it this way, how do you go about starting your game project?
First, think about game. What do you want your game to do - what should user be allowed to do, what should game do.
Then, try to come up with idea how should all of it be done.
Then, write it down as a code.

Really, if you're writing a system requirements for a game that isn't even created, you're doing it wrong. You don't know costs yet. And such a simple game like pac-man will most likely not need such specification.

Just remember, that idea is not worth much if you can't implement it. If you don't know how to start writing a game, I would recommend you using this tutorial:
http://www.3dbuzz.com/training/view/c-plus-plus-complete/intro-to-game-dev

Cheers!
closed account (ypfz3TCk)
What you are proposing does not sound like a methodical or even structured way to develop software. Perhaps my game does not need full precise requirements specification, but I am inclined to write up a plan of some form before trying to code.

Out of interest, how many games have you completed using your method?
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.