Help with Plinko please

This code is from my main function. In a nutshell, I want the function multchip_slot to evaluate for the integers 0 - 8.

However, I don't know how to get the function to evaluate for different values without duplicating the function for each new input.

Although the way I've done executes without errors, I feel there must be a simpler way to do it.

Do you know a way that I can have my function evaluate for values 0-8 inclusive without having to rewrite the function?

int main()
		{
 			cout << "Enter a number of chips: ";
 			double num_chips;
			cin >> num_chips; // if user enters 5, drop 5 chips to every slot between 0 - 8
 			double num_chip_saver = num_chips; // preserves the initial entered value of chips to be used as a divisor in computing average chips

double a = multchip_slot(num_chips, 0);
			double b = multchip_slot(num_chips, 1);
			double c = multchip_slot(num_chips, 2);
			double d = multchip_slot(num_chips, 3);
			double e = multchip_slot(num_chips, 4);
			double f = multchip_slot(num_chips, 5);
			double g = multchip_slot(num_chips, 6);
			double h = multchip_slot(num_chips, 7);
			double i = multchip_slot(num_chips, 8);

double j = a + b + c + d + e + f + g + h + i; // sums the total points earned from each of the slots
			cout << "Total points: " << j << endl;
			cout << "Average points: " << j / num_chip_saver << endl; // computes the average points earned per drop

Additional info: The function returns "Total Points." My assignment is to create a program that enables users to drop multiple chips into all nine slots of a Plinko board simultaneously. In other words, if a user enters "5" as their number of chips (num_chips) value, it drops 5 chips into each of the nine slots, labeled 0-8. My assignment is to compute the total and average points earned from this.
One word for you.... Loop.

Let's use a container to store all the points values and use a loop to load it up.

Starting off simple, we'll use an array.

const int NUM_TURNS = 8;

double pointsArray[NUM_TURNS];

for (int i = 0; i < NUM_TURNS; i++)
    pointsArray[i] = multchip_slot(num_chips, i);

This should in theory, give you an array containing all the points values.

To get their sum you need to once again, use a loop.

double totalPoints = 0;

for (int i = 0; i < NUM_TURNS; i++)
    totalPoints = pointsArray[i];

If you want to save the extra loop you can add the sum while you load up the container.

Hope this helps.
Last edited on
Thanks so much! Great answer.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.