Is there a future for programmers?

I can't really see how there will be/is with all the game engines being released, or already released, such as Unity, Cry Engine and now Unreal 4(with full source).

How can there be any future for game programmers, maybe some scripting work?

Then for desktop application programming, well what possible apps have not already being written, why do small, medium and large businesses still need programmers, why does anyone need programmers, I can understand web programming still having a lot of demand as new companies are always starting up(and failing right after) that want unique design and feature. Game + application on all platforms however, well why do we even need any programmers anymore, do businesses not know that they can buy the software they need for a fraction of the price that a software house will ask for and probably is of better quailty...

What am I missing here, I think the days of the programmer are coming to an end, thoughts?
First of all, this thread belongs in the Lounge sub-forum.
Then again, the Lounge being what it is nowadays, it would probably be derailed by page two. It's up to you if you move it or not.

andy1978 wrote:
What am I missing here, I think the days of the programmer are coming to an end, thoughts?

I think you are mistaken. It is not programmers who will go away, it is some programming languages and technologies that will go away.

For as long as there is software, there will be programmers creating and maintaining it. Even if programming will one day be dumbed-down to be doable by using hand gestures and facial expressions, it will still be programming. And the poor monkeys doing it will still be programmers.
Last edited on

The game engines are merely just that, it takes care of the physics / graphics / networking / sound etc. (and it takes programmers to create those remember). Who created those applications on the shelf you refer to ? :p

As catfish666 said, there will always be programmers just some languages will fade away, but C++ won't be one of them i would think - it will only be improved if anything.

This should sum your question up....

http://www.forbes.com/sites/tomiogeron/2013/02/26/bill-gates-celebrities-support-education-for-computer-programming/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKIu9yen5nc

Last edited on
What am I missing here

1) Who is it that you think works for those software houses? Someone still has to write all that off-the-shelf software. As computers improve, and new ways of using them appear, and new paradigms are developed for HCI, then that software will continue to be developed and reworked to take advantage of those.

There are things that can be done with software right now, that couldn't have been done 5 years ago. In 5 years' time, things will be possible that aren't right new. New scientific innovations, new technology, new business ideas will all arise, and will all require new software.

There's more the the software industry than computer games and MS Office-wannabes.

2) You seem to have no idea of the depth and breadth of things software is written for. In my time, I've developed software for analyzing molecular similarity, modelling oilfields, automatic management of PC networks, health monitoring for jet engines, mission planning for military operations, DNA sequencing, and more.

And I've interviewed for companies working in dozens more different areas. If different job opportunities had opened up, I'd be giving you a completely different list.

So, tell me - exactly which off-the-shelf software packages (produced by software houses who, apparently, don't need to employ programmers) should those companies have bought, instead of recruiting developers to write the software they needed?
Last edited on
This is a good answer MikeyBoy, I see where you are coming from, simulation programming, in various areas, I can see that. I just posed the question, I obviously don't have the breadth of knowledge to fully understand, hence why I asked.
Even regarding computer games, that sub-sector is extremely driven by new improvements in hardware, firmware, and other technology. People always seem to want better graphics, better physics modelling, better character modelling, etc, etc, and games developers are constantly trying to write new engines to take advantage of these improvements. (Personally, I don't think those are the things that make a game good or bad - but that's beside the point).

The idea that the Unreal 4 engine might somehow be the pinnacle of game development, and that no-one else will ever need to develop a new engine, is ludicrous. In 10 years' time, it will bee seen as old-fashioned and under-performing, compared to the latest new games, fit only for low-budget releases.

Topic archived. No new replies allowed.