Things I should know before learning OpenGL?

Hi everybody my name is Scott, I am new to this website and also fairly new to Programming C++. I have the basics down when it comes to I/O, working with variables, creating simple console game programs, strings, and changing text color. I have only been working with console programs.

QUESTION: Should I have a decent amount of C++ experience before attempting to work with OpenGL?

When doing some research, I noticed there a many different variations of OpenGL and the actual question of "What is OpenGL" is slightly confusing...

I don't want to invest many hours learning a certain way only later to find that what I'm learning is practically useless or outdated..

I'm taking a course in college on C++ programming, and so far a lot of the code I have been learning/working with seems useful, but I would rather skip to learning how to program basic games/animations.

I apologize if I sound like a noob or come off as annoying by asking these questions. A word of advice or wisdom would be much appreciated.

I feel very serious about learning how to program, and I don't want to sound too overly optimistic or hopeful, but I would love to make a career out of it and since discovering programming, I have found something that I truly enjoy doing. Every activity prior, I always had to question myself whether it was really what I wanted to do with my life or not, but the subject of programming seems to really stick with me and the desire has not left me since. (Usually I tend to get obsessed with things for a week or two then give up interest but I have been doing this now for a good 2 to 3 months)

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this I really do appreciate any advice or just a simple answer to my question..

sincerely,

Scott G.

**UPDATE** I forgot to mention that I have access to either Dev C++ or microsoft visual c++ express 2010

Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.