Question about C++ Program

so .. im doing programming in visual c++ ultimate 2010 .. but i want to ask you something ..

sometimes when you download software from internet you must select proper operative system so the software can work properly .. for example

windows 7 64bit .. so ,, when i make c++ program .. where do i choose on what operative system should it work? there is no option like that ..

so>?

for example if i want that software to work stricly only on windows XP .. where do i select that option?
Your question is not clear but if your wondering if the program you created in Visual C++ 2010 on a 64-bit windows will work in WinXP with a 32-bit system. Yes it will run but you can't build a program that will run solely in WinXP.
closed account (j3Rz8vqX)
You're developing source codes, not running another persons binary.

After you've finished and compile it into machine code(binaries) then will it become OS bound; being an abstract designed specifically for your OS.

Restriction? Compile it on XP and use XP exclusive resources; or multiple restrictions that would befall you in the domain of XP.
alright than .. why it will work on 32bit system when you created it on 64bit system?

why others softwares need proper selection of operative system so they can run properly?
closed account (j3Rz8vqX)
That question will vary.

If you use 64bit features, then it will not work as expected; or possibly not work at all.

Example: Bit shifting and the sizeof function will differ.

Editing to answer your above question:
why others softwares need proper selection of operative system so they can run properly?

The software you download and use are binaries; they were compiled using a setup of that specified environment.
Last edited on
alright
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.