Suggestion on finding a mentor or a team

Hello all! I'm full time worker and student. I earning a degree in CIS with a concentration in Web Game Programming. This includes, Interactive Web Page Scripting, Programming Multimedia for the Web, Game Development, Dynamic Web Site Development and Database Integration, and Multiplayer Online Game Development. I recent finished classes in Procedural C++ and Object Oriented C++. I have many ideas of what I want to do. I just don't know where to begin. I understand the basics of both procedural and OO C++.

I just don't think that is enough to get me to where I need to be. I still don't fully understand inheritance and read becomes boring. I do better through interaction and hands-on work. I know repetition is key and reading is fundamental. Not that I can't read it just doesn't motivate me. I know there is no fast way to learn C++ but I just feel I would learn more if I had some human interactions or a task to work on. Book just don't give the full scope of ways to code.

Anyways, anyone have any good suggestion on how to find a good mentor or a team to join? Note I have already combed Google and this forum. I have found similar questions. They either don't give the answer I really needed or, they were post from several years ago that didn't answer the question I had. My aim at this time is to learn some simple game programming then step up to 2D,3D, collision and any other concept necessary to succeed.
Last edited on
I'd recommend watching ChiliTomatoNoodle 's youtube videos on DirectX. It's for DirectX9, so it's not necessarily up to date information since you most likely wont be using DirectX9, however it gives you a great jump into game programming as well as concepts that will come back up in the future. He does a great job at explaining things. It starts out slow, but you need to dedicate time and be willing to learn if you're serious about making games. It's a slow and tedious, but rewarding process once you see the final results.

He's better off using Direct X 9 at the moment, there's a lot of people still using the likes of XP etc. and he can target a wider audience by using 9.

In a nutshell, 9 will work on all Windows, 10/11 is not supported by all versions of Windows. If you are wanting to develop for the Windows App store then you need the latest Direct x 11

As an extension to my last post, there are many game libraries which take away the low level Directx/OpenGL coding. DirectX is a real pain in itself so if you want to dip right in and make progress quick I would look at a library such as:

http://www.sfml-dev.org/tutorials/2.1/

Anyways, anyone have any good suggestion on how to find a good mentor or a team to join?

If you are interested in joining a small team, I am trying to start one up right now. It might give you some good experience that you can use in your classes.

You can send me a private message if it sounds good to you.
Cool thanks for the quick responses! I have checked out Chili's videos, funny guy. I'm at video number 11 right now in him C++ game programming tutorial. He made some new advance video earlier this year. Also, just last night I have just start teaching myself HTML 5, then I plan on getting to CSS and Javascript. I will definitely check out more of his videos. I will also send a pm Daleth I'm itching to get into something and could use the experience thanks.

Out of interest what type of projects will you be focusing on in your team?
Actually, I'm just trying to get one project finished. If all goes well, we might continue to work on other projects.
So far half the people I talked to expressed interest in game programming and the other half in generic code, so we'll try to do a mix of both.

Okay, I'm done. Sorry for derailing the thread.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.