Understanding the vocab

Hello again everyone!

I have what some may think of as a rather weird question. I would like to know how coders/programmers learn the vocab of c++. For example, I am in the midst of reading the book accelerated c++. There are some points in which the author pulls out functions and words and the like seemingly from no where. I could only assume he knows these from experience and I will too in time it just seems to me like I am missing something. So how do they have these things? In reality are they just self explanatory? Thank you in advance for your help.

Well, think of it like English class, in school. The teacher just "pulls the words out of seemingly no where" and tells you to memorize them, then have the test. By instinct, you memorize the words to ensure you don't fail the test. I agree, some authors do just "pull them out of seemingly no where", but usually, when I found something like that and didn't understand it, I would just google it, or search it on this forum, to see if a thread was posted about it. For instance, this thread (http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/windows/80548/ ) was posted because the poster didn't know what a thread was (irony? No?), and then someone answered. I used that post when the book I was reading wasn't helpful enough on it, and sure enough, I can write you a story about threads.

It seems like I am advertising this site, but I really am not. I find it extremely helpful.

I am also what I'd like to call an "expert Googler", because usually whenever I don't understand something (like if I was talking to someone and they used a word I didn't know), I would google it (like, define x).

More advice: Try using the term when talking to someone, or just in your mind. That way, you eventually catch on and understand it smoothly. Example, when I first started programming, I came across the term "pseudocode". I looked it up and started using it, and then it became a part of my vocabulary.

I do have more tips, but I have a feeling you don't have the time (or aren't patient enough) to read a whole book on this, so I will only tell you if these don't work for you. Also (warning: advertisement) I see that you are relatively new to this forum (with having 4 posts by your username), so I just wanna let you know that it is good to stick with this site. I have found it very helpful and it feels good to get to the point to be able to help people, like I am now. Am I still talking? Yes? I shall leave now....
Last edited on
Thanks for the great reply! As well please continue on with tips. I am definitely patient enough for this, like i said I am in the midst of reading accelerated c++ and find it rather enjoyable. Thanks again!
No problem, just glad to see I could help!
pulls out functions and words and the like seemingly from no where
As I remember "accelerated C++" it does talk about something new used after presenting snippet. Actually at most time new material is presented it shows example program and explains what happens.

For new and unknown functions you might look online standard library references:
http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/
http://en.cppreference.com/w/

If you find new concep or keyword and book does not explain it (or you did not understand it) google it as AceDawg45 suggested before or ask on forums.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.