C++ Primer thousand pages?

Why is c++ Primer contain a thousand page? I mean most books teaching c++ is not that long. Is there a reason for this?

Is there a book that is close enough that explains and teach the way c++ primer?

The problem i am having in that books is that this book teaches and explains c++ very well but gives you a code which is very long. It doesnt give a simple code just to make you understand simple things.
Like for example the Return *this.

It doesnt give you much explanation to this one aside from copy it to the program you are doing with which you cant execute because there's some error that you need to fix but its on another page.

Anyone having the problem I am having?
I currently have the book, and its not like you have to read every single page its just important you understand the fundamentals of variables,functions,inheritance,pointers+references and polymorphism. In the future you can look back at the book for references (no pun intended).
It's one thousand pages because it is an in-depth look at C++, as it should be. If you don't have the attention span for it look into http://www.amazon.com/dp/0321958314/?tag=stackoverfl08-20 for a quicker look at C++
Firstly, C++ Primer is not a beginner book, it is a book designed for a person who has programmed in another language and is using C++ for the first time. If you are completely new to programming and C++ then you should get Programming: Principles and Practices Using C++ by Bjarne Stroustrup. Then go back to C++ Primer for a more in-depth view of the language.

The problem with A Tour of C++ is that it is basically the first few chapters from The C++ Programming Language. I think the best four books to get and read are:

Programming: Principles and Practices Using C++
C++ Primer
The C++ Standard Library: A Tutorial and Reference
The C++ Programming Language

The C++ Programming Language

In my opinion this is a terrible book for a beginner.
For a good introduction to modern C++ pre-C++11, try:

Accelerated C++: Practical Programming by Example ( ISBN-10: 020170353X | ISBN-13: 978-0201703535) - excellent book.

If you want to go a bit further, try:
Essential C++ (ISBN-10: 0201485184 | ISBN-13: 978-0201485189) - this book form the author of C++ Primer, can in my opinion be considered a shorter version of C++ Primer, it's also an excellent book.
mutexe wrote:
In my opinion this is a terrible book for a beginner.

The C++ Programming Language isn't designed to be a beginner book, it is designed to be a reference which is why I tell every beginner to get it.
Thank you for giving me another books. The problem in c++ primer is that it has so many pages that it will take more than a month just to finish Chap 1 to Chap-7. And another month before u go templates and some advance c++ like memory management.

I do have some experience in programming. I used java before.

Basically i just want a book where it doesnt give you a code which in the end you will have a working program. NO.

I want a book where it will give you a code snippets that i can run on every subject.

Say for example the topic is pointer.

The book can just give me an example like

int main(){

int a = 42;
int *pointInt = &a;

cout << pointInt;

}

Its like that and a little explanation.

I think its much better cause most people are a visual learner. They learn if they can see the result.
Last edited on
There are HUNDREDS of websites that will just exactly that for you. The book might give you a good logical path to follow in terms of subjects and concepts, but I wouldn't just study from one book.

The C++ Programming Language isn't designed to be a beginner book, it is designed to be a reference which is why I tell every beginner to get it.

So it's a book not for beginners, but you tell every beginner to get it. Interesting..
Last edited on
closed account (z05DSL3A)
So it's a book not for beginners, but you tell every beginner to get it. Interesting..
kind of like saying that someone leaning a new natural language should buy a dictionary.

I would agree with BHXs book progression.
mutexe wrote:
There are HUNDREDS of websites that will just exactly that for you.

Yep, hundreds, but only a fraction of them are accurate and don't teach bad habits.
mutexe wrote:

Are you implying beginners don't know how to use reference books?
Last edited on
nope :)
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.