for loop string Compare program.

So I am making the game called mastermind. It's simple you have the computer create a code that the player doesn't know using n values with a range of n. Ex: computer randomly generates the series of 5 numbers between the range(1-5). Now the player is asked to input 5 numbers in the same range and submits it. Then the computer returns a feedback to indicate if any of the values are either 1: both in the same position and the values are both equal to each other. 2: both playerstr and compstr contain a value that is the same but in the wrong position. 3: the playerstr does not contain a value also stored in the compstr. This is what my for loop is doing....atleast I think I can't get it to run correctly and return the right values stored in a char[] thats converted to a string later on.

The loop is suppose to go through each position and figure out if a value matches and what feedback should be stored in the char[]. I hope this question makes sense. What is causing my char[] to be reset to default values and returned as default when I initialize new values in the loops?

char temp[5] = { 'x', 'x', 'x', 'x', 'x' };

//checks for win
	if (comp.a == player.a)
	{
		a = true;
	}

//compare loop start
	for (int i = 0; i < 5; i++)
	{
		if (comp.a[i] == player.a[i] && temp[i] != 'x')//checks to see if value is correct at right position
		{
			temp[i] = '1';
		}
		for (int j = 0; j < 5; j++)
		{

if (comp.a[i] == player.a[j] && temp[i] != 'x')
			{
				temp[i] = '2';
			}
			for (int y = 0; y < 5; y++)//checks for wrong value
			{
				if (comp.a[i] == player.a[y] && temp[i] != 'x' && y == 4) // y = 4 prevents it from initializing till the whole string has been compared.
				{
					temp[i] = '0';
				}
			}
		}
	}
	//end compare loop

won.a = string(temp, 5);

cout << won.a << endl;
	system("PAUSE");Put the code you need help with here.
You used && temp[i] != 'x' for what?, is it always give you FALSE ?
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.