sum = sum + items[i]; 
        }

cout << "\n\nEnter in the sales tax percentage\n";
        cout << "<Enter 10 for 10% >: ";
        cin >> tax; 

salesTax = sum * tax / 100;

cout << fixed; 
        cout << setprecision(2); 

cout << "\n\n\n*******************************************************" << "\n";
        cout << "********** S A L E S  R E C E I P T *******************" << "\n";
        cout << "*******************************************************" << "\n";
        cout << "**                                                   **" << "\n";

for (int i = 0; i < n; i++) {
        cout << "**" << right << setw(20) << "Sales item  "<< setw(2) << right <<(i+1)<<"       $" << setw(12) << right << items[i] << "         **" << "\n";
        }

cout << "**" << right << setw(30) << "Total Sales         $" << setw(12) << right << sum << "         **" << "\n";
        cout << "**" << right << setw(30) << "  Sales tax         $" << setw(12) << right << salesTax << "         **" << "\n";
        cout << "**" << right << setw(30) << "                              ------------" << "         **" << "\n";
        cout << "**" << right << setw(30) << "Grand Total         $" << setw(12) << right << sum + salesTax << "         **" << "\n";

cout << "\n\n\nDo you want to run this program again? <Y/N>: ";
        cin >> ch;

while (ch != 'Y' && ch != 'y' && ch != 'N' && ch != 'n') {
            cout << "please enter a valid input\n\n"; 
            cout << "Do you want to run this program again? <Y/N>: ";
            cin >> ch;
        }
    }

return 0;
}

I get the following errors.

C:\Documents and Settings\ajc5212\My Documents\hw5.cpp(22) : error C2057: expected constant expression
C:\Documents and Settings\ajc5212\My Documents\hw5.cpp(22) : error C2466: cannot allocate an array of constant size 0
C:\Documents and Settings\ajc5212\My Documents\hw5.cpp(22) : error C2133: 'items' : unknown size
C:\Documents and Settings\ajc5212\My Documents\hw5.cpp(45) : error C2374: 'i' : redefinition; multiple initialization
C:\Documents and Settings\ajc5212\My Documents\hw5.cpp(24) : see declaration of 'i'
Last edited on
Which IDE you're using? Visual C++?
Why my DevC++ with minGW runs good.

Have you tried float *items = new float[n];
Last edited on
I'm using Microsoft Visual C++
Try float float *items = new float[n]; instead of float items[n];
Last edited on
That fixed most of the issues, but I am stilling having errors with lines 45 and 24 with (i)
declare int i; before loop, and in loop just use i=0; as initial.
To define a static array like that, the size needs to be constant. Ie. const int n = #; However, since you want to set the size dynamically, you need to allocate the space at runtime the way lsk mentioned. float *items = new float[n];

For the int i problem, I have seen different behavior with different compilers. Personally I hate it when a compiler extends the scope of variables defined in a for loop outside of the for loop! You can either change your second for loop to use a different variable name, or instead of redefining i, you can just reinitialize it.

for(i=0; i<n; i++) { ... }
Last edited on
Sorry, but where in the loop should i use i=0; ???

I'm the most novice of beginners ....
oh i see... ill try it thanks
That did it! Thank you for your help
Don't forget to change your thread be SOLVED(Do not ask me, I don't know how to do it *w*).
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.