confused in diferentiating between virtual functions and redefined functions

closed account (SECMoG1T)
Hi there, i need some help on an issue am having as i try to understand the need
to use the modifier (virtual) before a function am to use in a parent class in inheritance and polymorphism
(late binding),
while am thinking this can be done equally by redefing such an inherited function to have different meanings in the descedant classes and avoiding the modifier virtual in the parent class.
i would greatly appreciate if you can help me understand the essence of {virtual modifier} and if this two to can be used to subtitute each other.

Thenks in advance.
Redefinition example:
int foo = 7;
{
  int foo = 42;
}
cout << foo;

What does it print and why?

It may seem simple and nonrelevant, but the main point is that within the scope of foo that is on line 3 you have a variable that is entirely unrelated to the foo on line 1. The outer foo is masked.

Now with classes:
struct B {
  int foo() const { return 7; }
}

struct D : public B {
  int foo() const { return 42; }
}

Looks good so far. Lets use them:
D bar;
B * gaz = &bar;

cout << bar.foo();
cout << gaz->foo();

Different foos get called.

Add that "needless" virtual:
struct B {
  virtual int foo() const { return 7; }
}

struct D : public B {
  int foo() const { return 42; }
}

Now, repeat the use test. You will see that both times the D::foo() gets called. The classes that do have virtual functions are entirely different under their hood.

That is the whole idea of polymorphism. You can have a lot of objects that all have the same interface, but some of them behave a bit differently. The interface (the base class) does not even need to have implementations for the virtual functions, and thus it will be impossible to instantiate an object with type base; the base is abstract.

You can have your algorithm use the interface. Then you can add and instantiate new derived type objects without touching the algorithm. They fulfill the interface and therefore the algorithm still works, but the new type does something different.

For example, your base class can represent a SQL database. Then you have derived types for MySQL, PostGreSQL, SQLite, etc. The way you use the database object is same no matter which type it really is. That absolutely needs the virtual.
Well well , i had some lol time testing your code and
seemed some magic was working behind it haha ,

I got though this perfect explanation and it seemed really clear that virtual modifier works differently from redefinition uuummh;

But one more question after point taken, which is this property that the virtual fuction foo() seem to possess .

Is it that the modifier virtual limits the scope of foo() or any virtual function only to the
definition of such a function in the derived class or struct which the fuction is part of
such that any object of such a class can only stick to the definition
of such an inherited virtual function inside that class;

Thank you for helping.
The word you should look up is vtable.
thank you very much, lemmi try look it up
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.