What does COL indicate? (Compiler Indicators)

Hey guys, I am using Dev-C++ by bloodshed and I was just wandering if anyone knew what COL indicated when there is an error on a Line.

I know that LINE indicates the line that the error occurs but what about COL?

Here is the error I see.
LINE = 66
COL = 69

66	69	C:\Users\nsp\Desktop\Final Main-4.cpp	[Error] cannot convert 'std::vector<std::basic_string<char> >' to 'std::string* {aka std::basic_string<char>*}' for argument '1' to 'int getInventory(std::string*, int*, double*, double*, int*)'
Last edited on
I'd look 69 characters into the line for the point where the compiler found the error.
Don't use dev-c++ by bloodshed. Use dev-c++ by orwell.
COL = column
Wildblue, I will give that a shot.

But I wonder what COL stands for, can't be column because columns are horizontal not vertical -- if it was it wouldn't make sense.
Last edited on
NoXzema, what is the difference?
Think of the line as the row in a table (left <->right). Scroll across to the appropriate COL.

Lines are horizontal and columns are vertical. Together they give the exact position in the file.
Last edited on
Peter87, although that was my first guess -- It wouldn't make sense seeing that columns are vertical.

That would mean that COL is saying that the error is 69 down from the top of the document, while LINE already indicates that it is 66 lines from the top of the document.

It just doesn't add up.
C++ Support. Bloodshed is outdated (not been updated since like 2005) where Orwell Dev-C++ is newer and supports C++11 (last I knew it supported C++11 anyways).
Last edited on
BHX, just visited their site -- I am not sure which to download

"The setup which includes MinGW32 4.8.1 can be downloaded here (63MB).
The setup which includes TDM-GCC x64 4.8.1 can be downloaded here (47MB).
The setup which does not include a compiler can be downloaded here (2MB).
The portable version which includes MinGW32 4.8.1 can be downloaded here (36MB).
The portable version which includes TDM-GCC x64 4.8.1 can be downloaded here (34MB).
The portable version which does not include a compiler can be downloaded here (2MB)."

-- too many options for a newb :/
Peter87,

*slaps forehead*

That makes so much sense -- I was thinking lines were VERTICAL lol

Silly Me.
		COLUMNS
 		67	68	69	70	71
L	63
I	64
N	65
E	66			*
You'll want TDM-GCC (for 64-bit executables, unless your platform doesn't support it)... or to provide your own.

I'm not really sure why MinGW32 is still popular. It's not that well updated and it still has basic issues with its runtime and generating 64-bit binaries (of which, last I heard, it could not do at all).
NoXzema, wildblue, Peter87, BHX

THANKS GUYS!
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.