compiler question

I just started writing C++ and I'm wondering if there will be much difference between compilers or do they all essentially function the same. I have to do projects for school, and we're meant to use Eclipse, but I find it a hassle to setup and it keeps giving me errors after numerous tries. The online compilers such as cpp.sh and also the program I downloaded, Orwell C++, are working fine for me, so does it make a difference if I stick with them? If it matters, what would the difference be?

Neither Orwell nor Eclipse are compilers, they are IDEs. They both use a different program to actually do the compiling... and AFAIK, they both use GCC.

And if that's the case... then no... there is absolutely no difference between the two as far as compiling goes. Just the IDE is different.

Though different compilers aren't really all that different. Some compilers may not support some newer language features that some others might. But in general if you stick to standard C++ then it doesn't matter what compiler you use.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.