Coding with Graphics

Hello all.

I have been studying C++ programming (native via the command prompt) for about 6 months. At this point I need some direction toward something bigger and better. I would like to create an app (perhaps for the Windows 8 store) that incorporates crisp, custom 2D graphics and an intuitive user interface. But after searching for resources online for the past 2 months, I am still at a loss for the next step. I am a hands-on learner; I learn best with practice and use. So I'd really like to start simply and expand at my own pace.

If my issue has been explained too vaguely thus far, please consider this example:

About 3 months ago I completed a Spades game via the command prompt. It worked great and I was very proud of it. But how would I move from that to a game with actual graphics (instead of keyboard characters)?

Thank you very much for reading and I will greatly appreciate any responses.
closed account (j1CpDjzh)
SFML is what most people recommend. It's simple, and portable. I'm not quite sure how to write Windows 8 apps though.

http://www.sfml-dev.org/
If you want to make a game, I definitely suggest grabbing a game engine. If you can spare $19/month, Unreal Engine 4 is fantastic. Unity is also supposed to be good, but it's primarily C# based, where UE4 is primarily C++. AND if you go with UE4, you can contribute the open source Unreal Tournament game.
Well, I'm not necessarily wanting to make a game--certainly nothing with 3D graphics. But any professional application, whether its a game or not, has at least custom 2D graphics. That's all I'm looking to learn right now. I just need a good place to start. But I appreciate the post about SFML.
Are you wanting to create an application with a GUI? If so, pick up a GUI framework like Qt. SFML isn't really meant for building GUIs.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.