Why must I put ; before cout when using multi-way if-else statement

I am using Microsoft Visual Studio 2010.

I am creating a shipping cost program that compares the package weight to 2 values followed by the output of the shipping cost. If the package weight is larger than the compared 2 values, the program compares the package weight again to another 2 values. This comparison happens up to a total of 4 times...when I get to the last comparison I start by typing:

else (comparison of package weight to 2 values)
cout << "The Shipping Cost is whatever";

In VS 2010, it underlines the cout in red, and it reads that ; must come before it. In my programming book it does not mention this. Why must I put ; before cout in order for it to compile the code? This is the first time I've had to place anything right before cout.
Post the entire if block.
Do you mean that you have:
if ( condition1 )
  statement1;
else ( condition2 )
  statement2;

If so, do note that there can be no condition after else.
if (condition1)
  statement1;
else if (condition2)
  statement2;
else if (condition3)
  statement3;
else (condition4)
  statement4;

Statement4 starts with cout << "text";

But after typing statement4, VS underlines cout and error: expected ";" before cout

I could paste the actual code but it is homework for a class so...

The if and else if are located with int main(), not sure if that makes a difference. I am pretty new to c++
@plp384

If there are only four conditions that are possible, you don't need the (condition4) after the last else. Or, you add the if after that last else, and add a
else
cout << "Sorry, do not understand that input." << endl;
to be printed if all the conditions, fail.
The (condition4) is not legal C/C++. The whole point of an else block is that it runs in all circumstances where none of the other conditions were met.
Yeah, like keskiverto said. There can be no condition after else.
@keskiverto I just looked at my textbook and it does not have a condition following else either in the c++ examples....

Thank You for a quick response.

@whitenite1 Thank You for posting that code, it reiterates that you cannot have a condition after else.

@MikeyBoy and @helios Thank You
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.