C++ compiler (2 questions)

1. Is there any window based C++ compiler besides Codeblocks?
2. If I just want to run a C++ program in Visual C++, do I really have to create a project? In other words is there any way to just run C++ file without creating a project for every tutorial program that I am creating?
1. you can install "gcc" separately on your system and run programs from the command line . Also there are other compilers available for windows ,which you can download like Intel c++ compiler .

instructions for installing gcc :
http://www.mingw.org/wiki/InstallationHOWTOforMinGW
2. if you want to save files on separate projects , you have to make a project every time .If you don't want to save the file ,you can delete the code and write down the new code.
Warning : I don't know if you are using dependencies and libraries that might disrupt the pre set code , so please be careful .

You can also use a online compiler and save links if that works for you :
http://coliru.stacked-crooked.com
Great. Let me try the intel one.
Codeblocks isn't a compiler, it's an IDE.

Try out MinGW, which is based on GCC.
Yes. It's an IDE but it can also build and run my C++ programs. I will certainly check MinGW. Thanks very much.
An IDE does not build and run your programs, the IDE takes your programs and gives them to a compiler.
I am new to programming so I don't know certain things. So I am assuming that since I build and run programs in Codeblocks which is an IDE, it should have an inbuilt complier minGW that builds and runs my program.
I checked the Settings>Compliers from the Menu of Codeblocks and it gives me a list of Global compliers to choose from. It has GNU GCC compiler by default selected. How do I know which is the best complier from the list. Some of them I am listing here:
- Microsoft Visual C++
- Borland C++
- Intel C/C++
- Microsoft Visual C++ toolkit 2003
There are others too and also there is an option for No complier.
Please give me some more education on IDE and Compilers.
Use whichever compiler works best for environment and project. Different compilers have different levels of C++11/C++14 support, and they also have different levels of support for the operating system you are on. If what you have works, don't worry about changing it.
Last edited on
I am learning C++ using this book that has 19 chapters. I am down to chapter 10 that talks about vectors and sorting. Up to now the default compiler works just fine. Other good thing I like about using Codeblocks as my IDE is I can build and run a c++ source file without creating a project.
Now can you tell me what is C++11/C++14??
Just was reading it. Thanks a lot.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.