Where is qmake suppose to be located?

I can't seem to find the qmake from the Qt folder, where is it suppose to be located? I have tried Google but come up with nothing.

Also, does Notepad++ support .pro extension? Thanks in advance.

I have version 5.3 of Qt.
Did you look in the bin folder?

Notepad++ is just a text editor. You can open any file and set the syntax highlighting to any one of the supported languages.
Last edited on
Yeah, i found it in the bin folder but I am a bit lost on how I am suppose to utilize it. When I click on the qmake.exe a command prompt runs very quickly then closes.

So far I have gone to Tools -> Options -> Qt Version and I found the directory of were it is suppose to be, msvc2012_opengl/bin/qmake.exe. When I click apply under the Qt versions tab then ok, nothing happens. I am just confused on how I am suppose to use qmake.
Last edited on
Creator uses it automatically. If you are using command line, it is best to use the Qt terminal. In my case it is located under: start > Qt5.2.1 > 5.2.1 > MingGW4.8.
Thanks for the reply admkrk, and you too LB, really needed the help.

@admkrk
Just to clarify, is qmake a command line only application or does it come with its own GUI like Qt designer or Qt assistant.
if you want to run qmake from qt creator click the build menu one of the options in the menu is "run qmake"
Last edited on
qmake is simply the Qt version of (c)make.

Qt designer is incorporated into Qt creator, I am not sure about what Qt assistant is or does. Creator call qmake when you build a project so you do not need to worry about it. If you are using command line, as I said, it is best to use the Qt terminal because all the correct paths are set. You can use it either way and I do not believe you even have to use it at all if you do not want to. Non-gui projects give you the option of using qmake or cmake. Unless you have a valid reason to not use it, "going against the grain" is hardly worth the effort in my opinion though.

Basically, if you are using creator, like I do, you do not even need to worry about qmake. If you use command line, I cannot help much, my paths are too messed up to go that route on my windows build.

Ok, thanks guys you've been a huge help. I will probably just use Qt creator for my every need. Using qmake manually is such a huge pain.
Creator is actually a very good IDE even for console programs. If you were using Designer for GUI programs, there is no reason not to just use Creator.

If you were writing everything out by hand on the other hand, using the command line is no more of a pain and probably just as easy if not more so.
Yeah, I have created GUIs with Creator before. I wanted to start using Designer because its quicker than hand coding everything, and it would be much quicker to change the design of a particular GUI I was working on. But your right in that Creator is a great IDE, I'm actually kinda tempted to switch over from Visual Studio to Qt Creator. But I'll see.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.