what can i make with c++

I know that you can make games and windows apps (heavy things ... which needs years and years of learning)
but i want to know if i can make something in a short term so i feel that I'm actually doing something

you can learn java and android to develop android apps
you can learn c# and make windows phone apps

but what other things you can make with c++(which needs about year or two of learning) ?

Last edited on
I made a calculator for a game I play online.
can you tell me more about this ?
Yes. What would you like to know?
do you mean a console calculator or a calculator which was part of the game ?
how many time you take to make it (since you start learning c++)?
Last edited on
A console calculator. I started learning C++ about one year ago, and I started working on the program probably sometime in February or March. I've 'finished' the program more than once, so I don't exactly know how long I've spent on it, but I'd guess a few months of working on it one or two hours a day a few times a week.
Maybe I need something more advanced it's almost six months and all i make is console programs :(
I've finished a book about c++ (object-oriented programming by Robert Lafore)
But don't know what to do next ?
Last edited on
@ohefny whats the best console you have already programmed?
@Lorence30
It was a program that i used files with to store data
it's like a store organizer that able you to monitor your goods (it was laptops)
Add Device - Edit Price
- show info about specific device(and how many items of this device is exist in the store)
- show all devices in store
- Print a bill

and it has another part which make user search for laptops and filter the results
- By Price (3000-5000 L.E)
- BY Brand (HP-DELL-...)
- By Cpu speed

- compare between two devices or show more details about one device
This might not excite you, but for me it's amazing to create and render art, and C++ can do this faster than a lot of other languages. (Well I haven't done too much but I have ideas once I have more time)

For example, one of the first things I made was a Mandelbrot fractal and output it as a PNG image. I've been using a library called LodePNG, which someone once recommended in another thread. http://lodev.org/lodepng/

There's also a multi-media library called SFML that is fairly easy to learn the basics of, you can make games or any other kind of application that uses graphics with it, it shouldn't take years. http://sfml-dev.org/
Last edited on
@ohefny interesting
At the risk of hijacking ohefny's question, I am curious about its capabilities too. I'm interested in doing web development and/or web design when I finish school. The majority of my classes will push generous-sized C++ projects, but I don't often see C++ as being a common thing to know over PHP, Perl, jQuery, maybe Python, HTML, JavaScript, etc. Learning C++ along with discrete math has definitely helped me plan out an algorithm better, but I kinda fear it will fall into disuse if I do go into that field.
jksdk4 im taking discrete math in my course and i think it will be whole useless
Im programming something using an rfid reader and a raspberry pi.
https://github.com/JeroenMathon/ColdFusion
how can i add graphics, that create a program with GUI
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.