beginner

Hello i am new at C++ and was hoping you could give me some links to websites that could provide good knowledge of the language, i know only a little bit about C++ like variables, constants, and such not much.
So please give me some good links for C++ tutorials/articles/books, would really appreciate it. Accepting all sources.
And if there is a specific order that is best to follow while learning C++, please let me know.

PS. I know this website have tutorials and i will read them.
I think a good way to start is just to google "Hello world example c++", and find a good website that seems informative. Basically, look at the program that someone has provided and all you will see is gibberish ("what the hell is a namespace std?"). Whenever you feel yourself having such thoughts, just google the term and read up on the concept a bit. At first you don't need to read into it too deep, and it's ok if you don't understand everything. You just want to have a practical knowledge of all the lines in the Hello World program so you can understand the basics of what they do and how they help the program do what it is doing. After that, try something a little more advanced, e.g., try and write a program that takes as input two numbers from the user, add them together, and output the result. After that, you can continue to escalate the difficulty of problems that you try and solve. Along the way you'll come across new concepts that you'll have to learn. Again, google.

Remember, always google things along the way that you're unsure of, and try not to get frustrated. This approach to learning isn't very structured, and it's kind of like jumping in the deep end of a pool before you learn to properly swim. Nonetheless, I think after some time you'll pick up the basics and learn it faster/better than you otherwise would.
Would it be worth it to buy an e-book about C++? And is it possible to read e books on a desktop?
Last edited on
I don't think it's worth spending money on a book. There are for all intents and purposes an infinite number of free resources online that will cover what you need to know. Just find a beginner's tutorial and work through it. If you're looking for something heavily structured, I recommend the MIT C/C++ online courses:

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/6-088-introduction-to-c-memory-management-and-c-object-oriented-programming-january-iap-2010/

or

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/6-088-introduction-to-c-memory-management-and-c-object-oriented-programming-january-iap-2010/
Yes but those are only in January (as far as i can see?), i was looking for something here and now :)
Last edited on
You can download the course materials online now and follow the lecture notes and assignments. The course was first offered in January 2010, but they've made the materials available online.
at the same links listed above?
Last edited on
GO right now to this link:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAE85DE8440AA6B83

This is your best option no doubt!!

Have fun and remember BE PATIENT!

at the same links listed above?

The materials are just published online - the class isn't live.

You could also look at MOOCs like coursera.org or edx.org for programming classes that might be starting up soon.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.