TurnBasedGame

Hi, Im new to the forms and C++. I need help starting a turn based battle (similar to pokemon) app. How could i make this and make it cross platform. Also is it possible to make it access gps and allow other devices with the same app communicate with each other?
I have done things on the command line but i never made anything with images so i dont even know where to start for this app.
Can you guys help me.
I recommend first reading this book before you start programming the game.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1435457420/ref=nosim/gamednetllc-21
I agree but I don't have money for a book.

Should I just pick a cross platform GUI and stick with that, but even then I'm not even sure how to but a GUI with my code.
Please don't double post: http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/general/142302/

If you're new to C++ you have a LOT to learn before you can begin to tackle the kind of app you're describing. I would start with the tutorials here and get the basics down.
I agree with cnoeval.
Also the site i gave you has great books related to C++.
I recommend both the books and the tutorial on this site.
ya sorry about the repost, i didn't know which was a better place to post.

And that site is great, thnx

but what i don't know is would i be wasting my time learning how to make a game (which i can already make a text based game) with a GUI and find out i cant make it a cross platform app or do what i want with it?
Last edited on
As someone that knew very little about C++ and is now programming a game, I disagree with the advice in this thread. Programming a game is a great way to learn the language. Just a couple months ago I didn't know anything about inheritance/polymorphism, proper usage of structs, vectors, etc. etc., but I'm beginning to pick it up as I make the game. Now, don't expect to have anything that you can put out anytime soon. I've been programming for a few months and hardly even have a shell of a game engine right now, but it's coming along: I've made tangible progress and I am much more familiar with advanced C++ concepts than I was when I started.

If you want to get started, look up LazyFoo's SDL tutorials. SDL is basically a set of C++ libraries that contains functions that allow you to render images to your monitor. It always contains the libraries to take input from a keyboard/controller (important for gaming!), output sound and text, etc. This is a good starting point for making a game. I'm not sure how much C++ you actually know, but if you're familiar with the basics I really recommend starting here. The best way to learn C++, imo, is diving right in to writing the programs you want to make. Just be patient, because you're not going to have your Pokemon clone out for a long, long time.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.