Used setw(1) on the input of a declared string

A program I wrote calls for the input of a single alphabet letter and a single number. A problem I ran into when running the program was that I had to either press the space bar or enter after inputting the letter, in order for the program to observe the next input of a particular number. For example, if I type in a9 and hit enter, the program does nothing. But if I input like so, a 9 and then hit enter. It evaluates both, the string(which is one letter long) and the number.

What i wish to do is just have the program evaluate both variables by typing in a9 and hitting enter, instead of a 9 and hitting enter. So I scoured the internet looking for a way to limit what the program evaluates when inputting a letter that represents a declared string. By setting the width of the string input to 1 using setw, I am able to input a9 and have the program evaluate both symbols seperately and simultaneously(I assume).

Why does setting the setw(1) for the input of a particular string variable, cause the program to work like it does? Is this standard practice for a problem such as this? Some would probably say to use char instead of string. But I also needed to use find in the if expression to test the letter input against an array of alphabet letters.

cin >> setw(1) >> aLetter;;  //Here I set the width of the string to 1 and input a letter.
  cin >> aNumber;  //Here I input a number.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
When you entere a9'\n' , that is a9 and ENTER cin>>setw(1) reduces the input to a width of 1. this input is 'a'.
After this, 9'\n' is still left in the buffer which is absorbed by the next call to cin
Okay.

Thank You for the response.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.