Function overloading and type differences

Yes, this is a homework question but I'm hoping to be pointed in the right direction rather than obtain any kind of answer.

My task:
1. Create a 'Point' class that holds the x and y values of a point. Overload the '+' and '-' operators to work with this class.
2. Create a base class 'Shape' with a member function to calculate the area.
3. Create a 'Square' class that will overload the member function of 'Shape' to calculate the area of a square.

#include <iostream>
#include <cmath>
using namespace std;

class Point{
public:
	int x;
	int y;
	Point() {
	x = 0;
	y = 0;
	};

Point(int xx, int yy){
		x = xx;
		y = yy;
	}

Point operator+(const Point& pnt) {
		x += pnt.x;
		y += pnt.y;
		return *this;
	}

Point operator-(const Point& pnt) {
		x -= pnt.x;
		y -= pnt.y;
		return *this;
	}
};

class Shape{
public:
	virtual void area() = 0;
};

class Square: public Shape{
	Point p1, p2;
public:
	double sideLenSq, areaSq, perimeterSq;
	Square();
	Square(const Point &pp1, const Point &pp2) {
		p1 = pp1;
		p2 = pp2;
	}

void area() {
                //My issue begins here
		sideLenSq = sqrt(((p2.x - p1.x) * (p2.x - p1.x)) + ((p2.y - p1.y) * (p2.y - p1.y)));
		areaSq = pow(sideLenSq, 2);
                //My issue ends here
		cout << "Side length: " << sideLenSq << endl;
		cout << "Area of square: " << areaSq << endl;
	}
};

int main() {
                Point sqpnt1(25, 0);
		Point sqpnt2(0, 0);

Square squ1(sqpnt1, sqpnt2);
		squ1.area();
}

This code compiles and completes the task (printing out the area as 625), but as the overloaded '+' and '-' operators go unused I doubt the way I completed it is what's being asked of me. I commented the code segment that I'm having trouble with and I've tried replacing it with the following:

p3 = (p2 - p1);

Obviously that doesn't do anything of significance but it implements the overloaded operators and does the busy work of (p2.x-p1.x) and (p2.y-p1.y), but it leaves me with a Point class containing two integers as x and y coordinates. I could simply continue the calculation from that point using the values in 'p3' as a poor way to store my mid-calculation variables using the math I currently have, but that just seems poor form. Am I looking for a conversion from an object to integer?

Apologies if this seems a little scattered, I'm just not quite sure how to ask my question super clearly as I'm not quite sure what to do at this point.
Last edited on
You could implement double Point::norm(), which would return the distance of the point to the origin.

By the way, your operator overloads are incorrect. Well, not "incorrect", just excessively astonishing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principle_of_least_astonishment ). One doesn't expect that p1 - p2 will change the value of p1.
Thanks for the heads up on the operator overloads, removed the assignment in conjunction with the addition. Should be better with the following:

Point operator+(const Point& pnt) {
	double result_x = x + pnt.x;
	double result_y = y + pnt.y;
	return Point(result_x, result_y);
}

But I'm pretty new and wouldn't be surprised if I overlooked something.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.